Apply to the International English Language Institute (IELI)
The International English Language Institute, located on the campus of Humboldt State University, is a multi-level intensive English program designed for students planning to enter an American college or university. We offer 6 sessions of intensive English language instruction per year.
IELI helps students improve their proficiency in the English language in order to reach academic, professional, and personal goals. In small classes taught by dedicated professionals, students are given individual attention to help develop their skills in taking notes, giving oral presentations, and writing.
- Be sure that your name is spelled exactly as it is on your passport. Check the starting date of the sessions you wish to attend. If you fill out the paper form, you can mail it to our address below, or save the form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To assist us in placing you in the proper level, please take the Cambridge Placement Test and report your score on the application.
STEP 2: Pay the US $55.00 Application Fee.
- You may pay online using the link above, via international money order, or by a check drawn on a U.S. bank. Checks should be payable to HSU.
STEP 3: Submit Certification of Finances.
- If you are sponsored, send evidence of your scholarship or bursary.
STEP 4: Send photocopy of your passport.
STEP 5:Transfer Students (only if transferring from a U.S. school)
- If you are already in the U.S. and transferring from another school or program, you must send us an IELI Notification of Intent to Transfer which shows that you are in status, and a photocopy of your I-94 and I-20.
STEP 7: Post Your Application Materials to:
Email: email@example.com orIELI
Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst St.
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
|Fall 1||mid-August to mid-October||June 30|
|Fall 2||mid-October to mid-December||August 31|
|Spring 1||mid-January to mid-March||November 30|
|Spring 2||mid-March to mid-May||January 31|
|Summer||mid-May to mid-July||March 31|
|Intersession (4 weeks)||mid-July to mid-August||May 31|
All sessions are 8 weeks except for Intersession, which is 4 weeks.
All students must have health insurance. You can buy health insurance when you arrive.
When you receive your I-20 and letter of admission, you should apply for an F-1 Student Visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
Please consult the table below to find out how long it will take you to finish the Advanced level at the IELI and become eligible for the Bridge Program.
|TOEFL Score at time of entry*||IELI Level||Time to completion|
|Below 400||Intermediate or lower||1 to 1.5 years|
|400 - 450||Intermediate or High Intermediate||About 1 year|
|450 or higher||High Intermediate or Advanced||2 to 3 sessions (4 to 6 months)|
|500 or more||Bridge||1 semester for undergraduate studies (6 months), 1 to 2 semesters for graduate studies (6 months to one year)|
*Note: these scores are only estimates for time to completion. Student's level will be assessed upon arrival at the IELI.