IELI Transfer Students

To apply for transfer to the International English Language Institute (IELI) at HSU:

  • Fill out and send the IELI Application Form.
  • Submit a Certification of Finances.
    • If you are sponsored, send evidence of your scholarship or bursary.
  • Request your current school or institution to release your records in the SEVIS database and send the Notice of Intention to Transfer form to the IELI admissions officer.
  • The IELI admissions officer will send you a letter of admission. Your new I-20 will be presented to you upon your arrival and report to HSU's IELI Program.  If you will travel internationally between the transfer, you will need to request the I-20 prior to your arrival.  If this is your situation, please contact the IELI Coordinator.
  • Bring your passport with your F-1 Visa and I-94 card, and your previous school's I-20 with you when you report to IELI at Humboldt State University.
Leaving the US During the Transfer Process?

NOTE: The international transfer process varies depending on whether or not you leave the US before you come to HSU.

If you are currently studying at another school in the US but will be leaving the US prior to coming to IELI, be sure to request your new I-20 from IELI/HSU so that you have it when you leave the United States. When you return to the US, simply show the Immigration Officer your new I-20. You do not need visit the US Embassy unless your student visa has expired. Do not enter the country on your old school's I-20.

Once you are registered in your intensive English classes here at IELI/HSU, you will be registered in SEVIS as a full time student. Completing the transfer process in a timely and precise manner is an important requirement. If you fail to meet the deadlines and requirements for transfer, you may lose your legal status in the US.