F-1 Employment

Students with valid F-1 status can be employed on-campus at the University for up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Students may work full time while HSU is not in session (summer and winter break).

F-1 students may not provide goods or services beyond the boundaries of on-campus employment (off-campus or self employment) without permission from the Center for International Programs (CIP) and, in most instances, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If there is any question about whether or not a particular endeavor qualifies as employment, students should consult their international student advisor. Note that some unpaid work may also be unlawful employment.

Students wishing to engage in employment off-campus may be eligible for "practical training." In most cases, students are not eligible for any type of practical training until completion of one full academic year (two semesters).

There are two types of practical training employment authorization: optional and curricular.

Additionally, you may be eligible for employment authorization based on severe economic hardship (proof of hardship is required) or by working for a specific type of international organization.