Center for International Programs

Form I-20

 To receive a form I-20 and enter the U.S. in F-1 visa status, students must first apply for admission to Humboldt State University. The Form I-20 supports applications for F-1 visas, requests to changing to F-1 status and entering the U.S. in F-1 status.

 It is the responsibility of every student to ensure that Form I-20 remains accurate and complete. In particular, in section 5 the "complete studies no later than" date should always be in the future while a student at Humboldt State University. If this date will expire before completion of your F-1 studies, you must contact the Center for International Programs to apply for a program extension before the expiration date.

 Page 3 of Form I-20 must be signed by a designated school official (DSO) in the CIP during any semester of foreign travel after initial admission. Students should visit the CIP about two weeks before planned foreign travel to obtain the requisite signature. Form I-20 must be presented at the port of entry when a student re-enters the U.S.

 Page 3 of Form I-20 also includes practical training employment authorization endorsements. A student may engage in authorized curricular practical training (CPT) employment once in possession of a CPT-endorsed I-20. I-20's endorsed with optional practical training (OPT) must be submitted to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for OPT approval. Only after CIP's approval and receipt of a valid employment authorization card (EAD) are students eligible to begin OPT employment.

Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939