Maintaining F-1 Status

Maintaining F-1 Status

 Specific information relating to maintaining lawful F-1 status may be found through the below links: 

Form I-20 | Form I-94Passport ValidityEnrollment | EmploymentProgram Length | Grace Period

Maintaining status is the responsibility of every student. No student should expect the Center for International Programs (CIP) to monitor document expiration or to be independently notified of any changes impacting status. The CIP is obligated to inform the U.S. government through SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information Services) of any changes to an F-1 student's status.

 Students must notify the CIP if they experience any of the following: 

  • Change of major
  • Degree level change
  • Graduate earlier than end date on I-20
  • Need additional time to complete their studies
  • Change in OPT employment (optional practical training)
  • Change in CPT employment (curricular practical training)
  • Change in dependents
  • Terminations
  • Leaves of Absence
  • Any drops below full-time status
    • 12 credit hours are required during spring/fall semester for undergraduates; 9 credit hours during spring/fall semester for graduates
    • Students must be authorized by the Center for International Programs to drop below full-time credit hours in Spring/Fall semesters
    • Full-time enrollment during summer is required only if this semester is the first or last semester of enrollment (8 credits). No more than 3 credits can be online classes.
    • F-1 students are not required to enroll in summer session
  • Disciplinary action
  • Suspensions/expulsions
  • Felony convictions

Note that the above list is not necessarily comprehensive. Students should contact the Center for International Programs if there is any question about maintenance of status. 


Address Changes 

Students attending Humboldt State University are required to update their address within 10 days of moving.  Fill out the Address Change Form and send it to international [at] humboldt [dot] edu (subject: Address%20Change%20Form)  and also update your address on your Student Center.