Qualifying for F1 Status

F-1 Status

F-1 status is a nonimmigrant classification, which means that any F-1 student must demonstrate to the U.S. government at the visa interview that he or she does not intend to reside in the U.S. on a permanent basis.

After being admitted to the University, students are asked to provide a Form I-20 at their visa interview.  Admissions will only issue Form I-20 for F-1 status once it confirms the following:

  1. The student has proficiency in the English language;
  2. The student demonstrates that he or she has funding to cover the cost of attending Humboldt State University; and
  3. All elements of the student's application for admission are present and authentic.

Citizens of countries with an official language of English are not required to demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency in the English language is most often demonstrated through standardized testing. Once an international student receives Form I-20 he or she may apply for an F-1 visa stamp. If residing in the U.S. in an eligible nonimmigrant status, a student may also change their status in the U.S.

Complete instructions and information for new students who wish to obtain admission and visa documents are available on our How To Apply page.