For purposes of U.S. immigration, students transferring to Humboldt State University from abroad who have not held any student status in the U.S. are treated the same as new students.

Students already in the U.S. in F-1 status who are transferring to Humboldt State University from another U.S. school must provide documentation of continued eligibility for F-1 status, including documentation of adequate funding. Transfer students should apply for admission by completing the International Student Application. Transfer students are required to attend the mandatory orientation before beginning their degree program.

Transfer students must work with their current school's designated school official to have their Student and Exchange Visitor Information Services (SEVIS) record released to Humboldt State University after gaining admission. A new transfer-in I-20 should be issued within the 15 days after school begins for the first semester attended at Humboldt State University.

F-1 students transferring out of Humboldt State University must complete the SEVIS Transfer Release Form and take it to the Center for International Programs.