Center for International Programs

J-1 Students

J-1 Students

 J-1 status is used by many different visitors to the U.S. At HSU J-1 status is most often used by visiting and exchange students and by international scholars. J-1 status is a nonimmigrant classification, which means that you must demonstrate to the U.S. government that you do not intend to reside in the U.S. on a permanent basis. You must also demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the English language. Form DS-2019 provides evidence of eligibility for J-1 status.

Applications to change to J-1 status may be filed by individuals who are residing in the U.S. in a qualifying nonimmigrant status. All other students must apply for a visa stamp abroad.
If you would like to change to J-1 status in the U.S., please contact the Center for International Programs to discuss the options at least six months before the planned start date of your program.

J-1 Status Details

To download documents, please right click, and choose "Save Target As".  Then, open the downloaded document.  Please also make sure you have the most up-to-date verison of Adobe PDF Reader

Description Link
Certificate of Finances Certification of Financial Support Certificate of Finances
Address Change Form Use this form to notify the CIP of a change of address (must be submitted within ten days of moving). Address Change Form
On-campus Employment for J-1 Students Download this form to learn about on-campus employment. On-campus Employment for J-1 Students
Extension of Time to Complete Program Submit this form to request an extension of your I-20 to complete your program. Extension of Time to Complete Program 
J-1 Application for Academic Training Fill out this application to apply for Academic Training (AT). J-1 Application for Academic Training
Model Employer Letter A sample letter for employers to fill out for students applying for AT. Model Employer Letter
I-20/DS-2019 Request Form Fill out this form to request a new or updated I-20 or DS-2019. I-20-DS2019 Request form
RCL Authorization Fill out this form to request a Reduced Course Load. Reduced Course-Load (RCL) Authorization
Transfer from HSU Use this form if you are planning on transferring to another university. Transfer from HSU Information
Travel Request Form Submit this form to request a travel signature. Travel Request Form 
Leave of Absence or Withdrawal Request Submit this form to request a leave of absence or withdrawal. Leave of Absence or Withdrawal Request 
Social Security Number Application Information Download these instructions to learn how to apply for a social security number. How to apply for a Social Security Number
Departure Survey Please submit this form before you depart HSU. Departure Survey


Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939