Center for International Programs

J-1 Grace Period

J-1 nonimmigrants may remain the U.S. for 30 days following the expiration of Form DS-2019. Extremely importantly, you may not apply for a J-1-status-related benefit during the 30-day grace period.

During the 30-day grace period:

You may not apply for admission to the U.S. in J-1 status.
You may not apply for a program extension.
You may not apply for employment authorization.
You may not work or study.

Unless you file a timely application to change status for a start date before the end of the 30-day grace period, you must depart the U.S. before the end of the grace period

If a student decides to withdraw from the University without completing their degree, they have 10 days in which to leave the U.S. – there is no 30-day grace period. The student must contact the Center for International Programs (CIP) and notify the appropriate staff of their intention to leave and not return.

Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939