Center for International Programs

Qualifying for J-1 Student Status

Qualifying for J-1 Student Status

J-1 student status might be possible if one of the following conditions is met:

1. You or your program is financed directly or indirectly by the U.S. government, your home government, or an international organization of which the U.S. is a member;

2. The exchange program is based on an agreement between the U.S. and another government;

3. The exchange program is based on a written agreement between: a) Humboldt State University and a foreign educational institution, b) Humboldt State University and a foreign government, or c) a U.S. state or local government and a foreign government; or

4. You are supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds.

After being admitted to the University, students are asked to provide a Form DS-2019 at their visa interview.  The Center for International Programs (CIP) will only issue Form DS-2019 for J-1 status once it confirms the following:

  1. The student has proficiency in the English language;
  2. The student demonstrates that he or she has funding to cover the cost of attending Humboldt State University; and
  3. The application and all required supporting documents are received and original.


Citizens of countries with an official language of English are not required to demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency in the English language is most often demonstrated through standardized testing.

Once an international student receives Form DS-2019 he or she may apply for a J-1 visa stamp. If residing in the U.S. in an eligible nonimmigrant status, a student may also Change to J-1 Status.

All J-1 students must pursue a full-time course of study unless otherwise specifically authorized by the CIP and sponsoring agency. The CIP must be informed of and approve of any drop below full time. Full-time status for undergraduates is 12 credit hours per semester. Full-time status for graduate students is 9 credit hours per semester.

J-1 Exchange Students
J-1 Visiting and Degree Students

Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street.
Arcata, CA, 95521-8299 U.S.A.

Telephone: +1 (707) 826-4142
Fax: +1 (707) 826-3939