Humboldt State University is committed to bringing to campus educational and social programs related to various world cultures. HSU values the role that international students play in fostering such programs. Accordingly, the International Student Intern Program (ISIP) was established to offer international students the opportunity to share their cultural knowledge and ideas, promote their leadership potential, and assist other international students. In consideration of such contributions, Humboldt State University will waive a portion of the non-resident tuition fees for the intern for the duration of his or her internship.
Services of Intern in Exchange for Tuition Waiver:
For the 2013-2014 academic year, the selected Intern would be expected to serve as:
- Student coordinator of selected activities occurring during the International Education Week in the fall semester
- Student coordinator of the International Cultural Festival, which is an annual event for campus and community members traditionally held the last Saturday of February.
The Intern would accomplish these tasks by working closely with the adviser/s of the Global Connections Club and the Department Coordinator of the Center for International Programs. The selected Intern would be expected to work an average of ten (10) hours per week, for a total of 150 hours total each semester, for four (4) units waived.
Selection for ISIP is competitive. Eligibility is first determined by the written application and cover letter. If eligible (see below), candidates may be invited to a personal interview, tentatively the week of May 5th. Internships are intended to be for one academic year; however, an intern may be re-appointed for additional service based on satisfactory performance and continued funding.
All of the following conditions must be true in order to be qualified to apply.
- Applicants must have prior enrollment for at least ONE ACADEMIC YEAR (two semesters, not counting enrollment in IELI programs) at Humboldt State University.
- Applicants must not be US citizens or eligible to receive US federal financial aid.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled full-time undergraduate (or pursuing 2nd Bachelor’s degree) students at HSU.
- Applicants agree to maintain full time enrollment through the duration of the internship.
- Applicants must maintain the required academic standards of the University for continued enrollment (minimum 2.50 cumulative and Humboldt State University GPA).
- Applicants must maintain valid status with the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at all times (e.g., valid passport, full-time enrollment each term, health insurance, etc.).
• Maintain regular office hours every week in the Center for International Programs.
• Coordinate and facilitate the annual International Cultural Festival, under the direction of the Center for International Programs Administrative Coordinator.
• Act as an advocate/liaison for international students through participation in clubs and/or club events (such as the Global Connections Club) and activities sponsored by the Center for International Programs (such as the International Student Welcome Ceremony).
• Assist the International Education Week Coordinator in planning the International Education Week.
The ISIP Intern must be able to complete a wide range of activities requiring clear, effective communication, critical thinking, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. The intern must be fluent with Microsoft Word, Excel and the Gmail calendaring systems. Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher is preferred.
All applicants must submit application packet of:
- Cover Letter
- International Student Internship Program Application
To: International Interns Selection Committee
c/o Jenn Soderfelt
Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
or fax to (707) 826-3939
e-mail to: email@example.com