Institutional Review Board
Humboldt State University is committed to promote, encourage, and facilitate academic and clinical research. The purpose of HSU's Policy for Protection of Human Subjects in Research is both to protect the rights and well-being of human subjects of research and to support the research efforts of Humboldt State University faculty and students. This policy encourages recognition of the basic ethical principles for the use of human subjects: respect for persons, beneficence, and justice.
If you have a research project that includes humans or data on humans in any way, you must submit a proposal to the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research, also known as the Institutional Review Board (IRB). This will ensure that your project will not only comply with Federal regulations, it will also protect the rights and well-being of your subjects.
All research personnel, including students, that have direct contact with research participants must complete CITI training and be listed on the IRB application.
Research that generates or processes Level 1 data about participants, as defined by the California State University’s Information Security Data Classification Standards (available here), needs to be coordinated with the HSU Information Security Office
Steps to Take:
1. Review a PowerPoint presentation about the Institutional Review Board (IRB) process
2. Complete CITI Training, save an electronic version (pdf) of the Completion Report and submit with your proposal
3. If your research involves obtaining access to HSU student, staff, and/or faculty contact information via the Office of Institutional Research and Planning (IRP), Click Here to review HSU’s policy and practice and obtain authorization, if applicable.
4. Click Here to follow the steps for your IRB submission
5. Here are some features of the new Drupal IRB submission process and webpage:
- You may submit a Reqistration, Application, Modification, or Renewal form
- You may enter data, edit data, and review past submissions all within Drupal
- Note that there are Help pages on the Main Menue to the left on the Drupal webpage