The Writing Studio
Main Location: Library 1st Floor
Fall 2017 Hours
Sundays: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Mondays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesdays: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Wednesdays: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Thursdays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fridays: 12:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Make an appointment online (instructions)
- Email-based consultations
- Writing Consultant biographies
- Writing Studio Policies
- Faculty: Share Your Assignments and Syllabi
The Writing Studio provides free writing support for HSU students at any stage of the writing process. Writers at all skill levels and in all majors can benefit from visiting the Writing Studio.
Help With Everything Writing-Related
Our friendly, trained consultants will work with you on many kinds of writing projects and tasks, including brainstorming, crafting a thesis statement, tackling your senior thesis, revising a biology lab report, and improving your grammar and punctuation.
We also help with resumes, cover letters, personal essays for scholarships and graduate school, GWPE prep, and much more.
When you visit us, be sure to bring your assignment, notes, readings, etc., and come prepared to talk and write. Feel free to bring a laptop; some computers are available.
- Guaranteed 30- or 50-minute in-person consultations scheduled in advance.
- Evening hours (after 6 pm) are reserved for walk-ins.
- Walk-in consultations are first-come, first-served using our sign-up board, which opens 5 minutes before walk-in hours begin.
- You can walk in during daytime hours--if a consultant is available, we’d be happy to meet with you right away.
- Schedule your appointment and then submit your draft using the online form.
- Limited to five double-spaced pages. (You can submit a longer draft but please indicate what parts you would like reviewed.)
- You’ll receive feedback within 24 hours of your appointment.
- Are you working on a writing project and would like some company? Waiting for or just finished a consultation and want to work on your essay? Feel free to work at our designated Writing Table during open hours.
- Depending on availability, a consultant will be nearby to help you during the writing process. You can talk through an idea, get help revising a paragraph, plan your next steps--whatever comes up as you write.
Who We Are
Peer Writing Consultants are undergraduate and graduate students from a range of majors. All have taken a 2-credit writing pedagogy course taught by English Department faculty and participate in ongoing trainings and evaluations. Read the biographies of our Writing Consultants.
Interested in becoming a Writing Consultant?
The Writing Studio often hires new consultants near the start of each semester. All majors are encouraged to apply. Students interested in becoming Writing Consultants should complete application materials available through the Learning Center & Academic Personnel Services. Applicants are also expected to complete ENGL 450, Tutoring Developing Writers (2 units), or its equivalent. Please direct any questions about the application procedure and deadlines to Dr. Jessica Citti, Writing Studio Coordinator, Library 11, (707) 826-5188, firstname.lastname@example.org.