The Writing Studio
Main Location: Library 1st Floor
Spring 2017 Hours
Sundays: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (Write Nights!)
Mondays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesdays: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Wednesdays: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Thursdays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fridays: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Make an appointment online (instructions)
- Email-based consultations
- Writing Consultant biographies
- Writing Studio Policies
- Faculty: Share Your Assignments and Syllabi
The Writing Studio provides free writing support for HSU students at any stage of the writing process. Writers at all skill levels and in all majors can benefit from working one-on-one with a Peer Writing Consultant.
Our trained Consultants are here to support HSU students with many aspects of writing, including:
- Organizing your essay
- Crafting a thesis statement
- Brainstorming and developing your ideas
- Quoting and paraphrasing sources
- Deepening your analysis
- Understanding your assignment
- Improving your grammar and punctuation
- Building cohesive paragraphs
- Supporting your claims with evidence
- Writing personal statements for graduate school
- Tackling a senior thesis
- Preparing for standardized writing exams
- Using APA and MLA citation styles
- Composing technical and scientific reports
Students can use the Writing Studio for up to an hour per week. If we're not booked, you may be able to drop in for additional appointments. We look forward to seeing you!
Main Location, 1st Floor HSU Library
Sundays 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tuesdays 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Wednesdays 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Sign up: First-come, first-served. The Writing Studio’s drop-in hours use a sign-up board to organize our first-come, first-served writing consultations. When the Peer Writing Consultant arrives (typically 5 minutes before the listed start time), the board will be opened and students who are waiting will be invited to sign up for a single 30-minute meeting.
Who We Are
Peer Writing Consultants are undergraduate and graduate students from a range of majors. All have taken a 2-credit writing pedagogy course taught by English Department faculty and participate in ongoing trainings and evaluations. Read the biographies of our Writing Consultants.
Interested in becoming a Writing Consultant?
The Writing Studio often hires new consultants near the start of each semester. All majors are encouraged to apply. Students interested in becoming Writing Consultants should complete application materials available through the Learning Center & Academic Personnel Services. Applicants are also expected to complete ENGL 450, Tutoring Developing Writers (2 units), or its equivalent. Please direct any questions about the application procedure and deadlines to Dr. Jessica Citti, Writing Studio Coordinator, Library 11, (707) 826-5188, email@example.com.