The Writing Center
Providing free and friendly peer writing assistance, both on campus and online
The Writing Center offers free peer assistance with writing assignments and standardized writing examination preparation. All of our writing consultants have had extensive training and are available to assist with various types of writing, including technical writing and using MLA and APA style guides.
We recommend making appointments in advance, but drop-ins are welcome if staffing allows. Students can schedule two 30-minute appointments per week. If we're not booked, you may be able to drop in for additional appointments. We look forward to seeing you!
What to bring to your appointment:
- A copy of your assignment if available
- Any drafts or notes you have
- Your questions and concerns about the draft and/or the assignment
It's okay to bring your laptop!
Sign Up for Appointments:
Call 826-5217 or visit us to set up an appointment.
Library 32, Learning Commons (Lower Level Library)
Spring 2015 Hours
Mondays & Tuesdays: 11 am - 5 pm
Wednesdays & Thursdays: 11 am - 5 pm, 6 pm - 8 pm
Fridays: 10 am - 2 pm
How to Find Us
Daytime Hours: Enter through the South Entrance to the Lower Library or through first-floor main entrance and come down the staircase.
Evening Hours: Enter through the Library first-floor main entrance and come down the staircase.
Online Appointments over Email – New!
Are you in an online class or unable to make it to campus when we're open? The Writing Center now offers consultations over email utilizing the same strategies we use onsite. Consultants will read your draft and respond with written feedback within twenty-four hours of submission.
How to Submit a Draft Online
- Call our front reception desk, 707-826-5217, and let us know you'd like to set up an appointment for an online writing consultation. You'll get an email verifying your session and consultant. Be sure to email your draft AT LEAST AN HOUR before your appointment. Drafts should be no more than six pages (double-spaced).
- Email the writing assignment instructions (if possible) along with your draft to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the email subject line, put the consultant name and appointment time.
- In the email body, briefly let us know how you'd like to focus the session. For example, would you like help with your thesis, organization, developing your ideas, citations, fragments/comma splices, verb tenses, or something else?
The consultant will then read your draft and provide feedback with your primary concerns in mind. Please note you will need to revise the draft and make a new appointment if you would like additional feedback.
Who We Are
Read the biographies of our Writing Consultants.
Writing Consultant Training & Employment
Students interested in becoming Writing Consultants should complete application materials available through the Learning Center & Academic Personnel Services. Applicants are also expected to complete ENGL 450, Tutoring Developing Writers (2 units). Please direct any questions about the application procedure to Jessica Citti, Library 11, (707) 826-5188, email@example.com.