The Writing Studio
Free & friendly writing assistance for all HSU students at any stage of the writing process
Staffed by trained undergraduate and graduate Peer Writing Consultants from a range of majors
Main Location: Lower Library 32
Spring 2016 Hours
Sundays: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (Write Night! 1st Floor HSU Library)
Mondays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesdays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesdays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursdays: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Fridays: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Our trained Peer Writing Consultants are here to support HSU students with all aspects of writing, including:
- Organizing your essay
- Crafting a thesis statement
- Brainstorming and developing your ideas
- Quoting and paraphrasing sources
- Deepening your analysis
- Understanding your assignment
- Improving your grammar and punctuation
- Building cohesive paragraphs
- Supporting your claims with evidence
- Writing personal statements for graduate school
- Tackling a senior thesis
- Preparing for standardized writing exams
- Using APA and MLA citation styles
- Composing technical and scientific reports
We offer a main location in Library 32 (appointment-based) and two satellite locations for drop-in help (first-come, first-served). We also offer limited email consultations for distance learners.
Students can use the Writing Studio for up to two 30-minute appointments per week. If we're not booked, you may be able to drop in for additional appointments. We look forward to seeing you!
What to bring to your appointment:
- A copy of your assignment if available
- Any drafts or notes you have
- Your questions and concerns about the draft and/or the assignment
It's okay to bring your laptop!
Main Location: Lower Library 32
Call 707-826-5217 for Appointments
For our main location, we recommend making appointments in advance, but drop-ins are welcome if staffing allows. Call the Learning Center Reception Desk at 707-826-5217 or visit the Learning Center Commons (Library 56) to set up an appointment.
Daytime Hours: Enter through the South Entrance to the Lower Library or through first-floor main entrance and come down the staircase.
Evening Hours: Enter through the Library first-floor main entrance and come down the staircase.
We offer limited drop-in hours at two locations on campus in addition to our main location in Library 32. The Writing Studio's satellite locations use a sign-up sheet to organize our first-come, first-served writing help. When the Peer Writing Consultant arrives at a location (typically 5 minutes before the listed start time), the sign-up sheet will appear and students who are waiting will be invited to sign up for a single 30-minute meeting.
Write Night! Sunday Drop-In Writing Help
1st Floor HSU Library
Hours: Sundays 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (starting February 7, 2016)
Location: Library first floor, near the Maps. Look for us at a table with the Writing Studio sign.
Sign up: Writing help at our Sunday evening satellite is first-come, first-served. Sign up at the table early in the evening to reserve your spot. All HSU students are welcome.
Latin@ Center for Academic Excellence (LCAE)
205 Nelson Hall East
Hours: Thursdays 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm (starting February 4, 2016)
Location: Main LCAE, Room 205 Nelson Hall East. Look for us at a table with the Writing Studio sign.
Sign up: Writing help at our LCAE satellite is first-come, first-served. Sign up at the table early to reserve your spot. All HSU students are welcome.
Online Writing Studio
Free and friendly writing consultations over email
Are you in an online class or unable to make it to campus when we're open? The Writing Studio now offers consultations over email utilizing the same strategies we use onsite. Consultants will read your draft and respond with written feedback within twenty-four hours of submission.
How do I submit a draft online?
- Call our front reception desk, 707-826-5217, and let us know you'd like to set up an appointment for an online writing consultation. You'll get an email verifying your session and consultant. Be sure to email your draft at least an hour before your appointment. Drafts should be no more than five pages (double-spaced).
- Email the writing assignment instructions (if possible) along with your draft (Google Doc or Microsoft Word document) to email@example.com
- In the email subject line, put the consultant name and appointment time.
- In the email body, briefly let us know how you'd like to focus the session. For example, would you like help with your thesis, organization, developing your ideas, citations, fragments/comma splices, verb tenses, or something else? It would helpful to provide your due date as well.
- The consultant will then read your draft and provide feedback with your primary concerns in mind. You will receive your draft with comments within 24 hours of your appointment time (i.e. if your appointment is at 11:00am on a Tuesday, you will receive your feedback by 11:00am on Wednesday). Please note you will need to revise the draft and make a new appointment if you would like additional feedback.
Who We Are
Our consultants are HSU undergraduate and graduate students from a range of majors. Read the biographies of our Writing Consultants.
Interested in becoming a Writing Consultant?
The Writing Studio often hires new consultants near the start of each semester. All majors are encouraged to apply. Students interested in becoming Writing Consultants should complete application materials available through the Learning Center & Academic Personnel Services. Applicants are also expected to complete ENGL 450, Tutoring Developing Writers (2 units), or its equivalent. Please direct any questions about the application procedure and deadlines to Dr. Jessica Citti, Writing Studio Coordinator, Library 11, (707) 826-5188, firstname.lastname@example.org.