They Did It!
Humboldt State University celebrated the graduation of more than 1,900 students in three ceremonies in Redwood Bowl on May 12.
See photos from Commencement on Flickr.
Getting Ready for Fall Semester
Summer is an important time for students to prepare for the fall semester, and you have an opportunity to help them stay motivated and excited to return to school.
Staying on track with college is important for your student’s future. Completing college in four years means big savings on loans -- nearly $25,000 per year. Finishing on time also means they can start their career earlier as well. But however long it takes to graduate, those who graduate with a bachelor's degree earn on average $24,128 more per year than those with only a high school diploma. Over a lifetime, that's more than $1 million in increased earnings.
If your student struggled last year, talk with them about the many resources HSU has to help them succeed. You can find many of those in the Parent & Family Guides at family.humboldt.edu.
The College Board offers some suggestions for students to stay on track during the summer. These activities don’t all feel like schoolwork, but they’re valuable ways for your student to improve their skills, stay disciplined, and have fun.
- Get hands-on experience: Summer is an opportunity to learn new skills at jobs, internships, or volunteer work that enhances your student’s resume and chances of success.
- Take a class: There are a lot of fun and educational classes that can further your student’s college career, including fully online classes. See HSU’s summer session page for class listings, schedules, and more.
- Join or form a book club: Book clubs are great ways to become comfortable presenting ideas, and improve reading comprehension and learning. Book clubs also offer opportunities for leadership skills to develop.
- Keep a journal: Whether online or on paper, journaling will improve a students writing skills and help them develop writing topics for a variety of applications.
- Read the news: Reading is an important way to continue learning, and reading the news will keep your student informed of current events that apply to their field of study.
Join the Conversation
Social Network hsufamilynetwork.org »
Website family.humboldt.edu »
Email email@example.com »
Latest News from Campus
Sending your student off to college can take some getting used to. You want to be there for them every step of the way from the first moments on campus to graduation day. For the moments in between, Forever Humboldt offers special care packages. Help your student celebrate special occasions or pump up their spirits by sending them one through our special program.
Visit the Care Package Program website to view all available options.