It's hard to believe school has started. At HSU, summer break begins in late May but there's never a quiet moment on campus. During this time, many students are still attending classes during HSU's two summer sessions, and all over campus construction is under way.
At the HSU library a major renovation has transformed the first floor into an ideal place to study, work on research papers and meet up with classmates. Throughout the updated space, students will find couches, lounge chairs, white boards and lots of power outlets (gotta' charge those laptops somewhere).
A number of classrooms across campus have been upgraded with the latest smart-classroom technology and students will soon have an expansive new recreation and wellness center located in the renovated West Gym.
myHumboldt: Helping Your Student Get Stuff Done
One new addition isn't a building or a class—it's the new online portal called myHumboldt. The portal is a big improvement in the way students can take care of many university requirements in one easy, online location. Previously students had to visit one page to check their financial aid, then browse to another to log into email. MyHumboldt does away with most of the clicking around.
I spoke with Robin Jones, portal content coordinator for HSU, who explained some of the advantages of myHumboldt. "myHumboldt is how students will access their personal information in important applications—like Moodle, Gmail and Student Center—and get reminders of what they need to do, and when, as well as the latest events calendar."
Jones says that, while myHumboldt is ready to go for the new semester, upgrades will be rolling out over the next few months. They include: summarized financial information, class schedules, a feed of events from the campus events calendar and a new "Wellness" section to connect students with resources and services related to personal health.
As always, students should be cautious with their logins and passwords, especially with their HSU ID's, as these accounts are used to access all the web apps contained within myHumboldt. A few tips to keep myHumobldt secure:
- keep your password secret
- in a public location, take care to shield your device when entering your password
- never leave your workstation unattended—log out, close your browser, and set a screen saver lock if you have one (particularly important for portable devices and shared machines in smart classrooms and labs)
- users take special care to exit properly from myHumboldt
- depending on your browser, applications in myHumboldt will sometimes open in new tabs or windows—make sure to close ALL your browser sessions to exit myHumboldt fully.
– Jarad Petroske