Degrees & Options
The composition option gives a practical background in music composition with an emphasis on the use of music technology. Students must audition to enter this track. It requires 18 units beyond the core, yielding a total of 61 units for the major. A senior recital is also required.
The music education option prepares students to teach music in elementary, middle, and high schools. The department is vitally concerned with providing quality experiences to prepare future music educators. A broad spectrum of course offerings provides opportunities to learn all aspects of music education. Following graduation with a Bachelor of Arts in music education, students may be eligible to enter a professional preparation program leading to a music teaching credential.
General Studies Option
The General Studies Option emphasizes a liberal arts orientation with a broad view. It involves guided electives, requiring 11 additional units beyond the core, yielding a total of 54 units for the music studies major.
The performance option requires selection of a performing emphasis area (voice, piano, orchestral instrument, guitar) and a successful audition. A senior recital is required in all areas of emphasis. The vocal and piano emphases consist of 22 units beyond the core, yielding a total of 65 units for the major. Recitals in both the junior and senior year are required for the piano emphasis. The instrumental emphasis, including guitar, consists of 18 units beyond the core, yielding a total of 61 units for the major.
- Vocal Performance Planning Guide (PDF)
- Piano Performance Planning Guide (PDF)
- Guitar Performance Planning Guide (PDF)
- Instrument Performance Planning Guide (PDF)
- MUS 110 Fundamentals of Music 3 Units
- MUS 104 Introduction to Music 3 Units
- Applied Instruction: One semester each of voice, piano and instrumental, plus one semester of any of the three. 4 Units
- MUS 106/406 or 107/407 Performance Ensemble 2 Units (two semesters)
- Approved Electives (by advisement) not from among the above four areas. 6 Units
- Total coursework: 18 Units