Humboldt State University

First Year Connections

Humboldt Orientation Program

  • Outdoor Adventures
  • Humboldt Outdoor Wilderness Leadership Program

Frequently Asked Questions

For Freshmen

What are the HOP Dates?

Please see the HOP Dates & Fees page

When do I have to sign up for orientation?

All new freshmen must sign up for orientation by May 1, 2016. Your admission to HSU will be revoked if you do not sign up by this date.

When Can I register for classes?

You can register for classes during the June registration window of June 20-July 1. You will be assigned a specifc date on your student center (right column). You must complete an online course called HOP Fall 2016 in moodle prior to registering. This course will tell you about GE requirements, major requirements, and what classes to sign up for.

How much does orientation cost?

A one-time non-refundable $50.00 Student Orientation, Advising & Registration fee is included in the first-semester fees of all new Humboldt students. It is added to your student account immediately when you register for classes at HSU. It is non-refundable if you register for classes. The Family & Guest Orientation costs $50/person. Fees are to be paid through your Student Center page.

What are the fees for?

The $50 orientation fee is charged to all new students. This fee covers all the advising and registration services offered during HOP or HOOP by student and professional staff. This fee is added into registration fees, so there is no up-front cost just for orientation. The Family & Guest Orientation fees covers all activities associated with the session.

Can I sign up online for orientation?

Yes, you are required to sign up through your Student Center between March 2-May 1, 2016.

Do you have childcare available during HOP?

Participants may contact the HSU Children's Center to inquire about available spaces. Without a reservation with the Children's Center, children will unfortunately be turned away. Please contact the Children’s Center directly at (707) 826-3838 to inquire.

What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?

Family/guest orientation reservations can be cancelled or altered before August 3, 2016, only via our HOP Reservation Change Form (link not active). HOP or HOOP students should only cancel their orientation reservations if they no longer plan to attend HSU. If you are an incoming freshman and you register for classes, you will not be able to cancel/change your reservation and no refund will be provided. Cancellations and changes to the Family/Guest orientation reservations must be made electronically by August 3, 2016.

Is HOP mandatory?

Yes, it is required for all new students (except for students seeking their second Bachelor’s degree, students working on post bachelor classes, National Student Exchange students, returning students, and graduate students). This is the only way to finalize your admission to Humboldt State. NO EXCEPTIONS. HOP is an all-day commitment for all days within the session.

By reserving your space at orientation, you are committing to attend all mandatory activities of the session and you are making a commitment to attend Humboldt State.

Do I need to bring my transcripts and catalogs from my other institution?

Yes, if there are any discrepancies about how a class transferred over, or whether you meet the pre-requisites for a class at HSU these will be huge time savers.

Do I need to bring all correspondence from HSU?

You should bring anything that has your HSU ID number on it. If you have been in contact with the University for ANY REASON the letter will be your reference. You need not bring promotional material.

When do I need to arrive, and when can I leave?

Check-in begins bright and early on Wednesday August 17 in the UC Quad. It is your responsibility to be at orientation on-time. Penalties may be assessed for late arrival.

Plan to be in Arcata by the day before at the absolute latest. You may leave upon completion of all HOP mandatory activities.

How will I know if you’ve received my reservation?

You will receive a confirmation email (sent to the email you submitted when applying to HSU) once you sign up in Student Center. Once you complete your reservation, if you click on "orientation" in your Student Center again, you will see the confirmation text on that page.

Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact HOP at 707-826-3510 or by email. When contacting HOP please include your HSU ID # and the purpose for your call or email in any message.

For Transfers

How does HOOP work?

  • The HOOP Course: Teaches HSU basics and major-specific information. It takes an average of 2 hours to complete. Throughout the course, you will be asked quiz questions to assist in the retention of information. You may start and stop the course as often as you need. Toward the end of the course, you will be given information specific to your major.

  • The HOOP Survey: On the last page of the course you will be directed to take the survey. You must submit the survey in order to complete HOOP and have one of your two holds removed. The other hold is for advising, which you will learn about and start when you're in the HOOP course.

Can i visit with an advisor before i start hoop?

  • No. HOOP advisors will be your first advisor at Humboldt State and they only advise during the HOOP window that you have reserved. You will learn who your HOOP advisor is and how to communicate with him/her within the HOOP course. HOOP advisors are NOT available for in-person advising before or during HOOP.




Many transfer students are exempt via qualifying SAT or ACT scores, Advanced Placement scores, or by having completed a transferable General Education English course and/or Math course.  See for more info and a list of exemptions.  We need an official transcript on record showing a grade of "C-" or better if you are planning to meet the requirement(s) with a transferable General Education English course and/or Math course. The official transcript must be on record at HSU before you will be allowed to register for classes.

If you do not meet the requirements for an exemption, you must take the appropriate test(s) as required. Be prepared to pay for the exams by check on this date.

After I complete the online HOOP course, can I register for courses without having completed the EPT/ELM requirement?

No, your admission to HSU can be revoked if you do not complete this step.

Why is there a delay between when I sign up for HOOP and when I can actually start the online HOOP course?

Our staff in the Office of the Registrar is using this time to prepare your DARS (Degree Audit Report for Students). This report will show how your transferable college coursework is being used to meet requirements here at HSU, and will be an invaluable tool in helping you plan your classes. Your advisor will also have access to your DARS to assist with academic advising.

Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact HOOP at 707-826-3510 or by email. When contacting HOOP please include your HSU ID # and the purpose of your call/email in any message.


What if I need to change or cancel my reservation?

If you complete the HOOP orientation, you are not able to cancel/change your reservation and no refund will be provided. Regardless of your admission status, your new student fee is nonrefundable once you complete HOOP and register for classes.

If you do not complete ALL steps of the HOOP process before the session end date, you will automatically be added to the next available HOOP session. If you fail to complete the final HOOP session (August) before the session end date, your admission to HSU can be revoked.