Humboldt Online Orientation Program (HOOP)
- HOOP is designed for both incoming freshman and transfer students for the spring 2015 semester.
- To secure your space in HOOP, you must confirm your intent to enroll at HSU in your Student Center by Friday, Novermber 14, 2014.
- HOOP will open at 9am on Monday, December 8-Friday, December 12, 2014. All HOOP steps must be completed online during this window.
- HOOP is completed entirely online. You will register for classes as the final step of HOOP. To learn more about the steps, please scroll down this page and start reading at "Step 1."
**Fall 2015 information will be uploaded in December 2014-January 2015*
- There are 3 HOOP sessions offered in the summer. Participation in a session is dependent on the date that you sign-up for HOOP and the date that your required test scores and/or official transcripts are processed.
- Once you complete all of the HOOP steps within the session window, you may register for your HSU classes. New students to HSU register after all currently-enrolled students. Class registration will begin for most students at least 48 hours after completing the first HOOP step. Registration access is not instantaneous.
- There are a few steps involved in the HOOP process. We explain them below.
- Important dates at-a-glance:
HOOP Sign-Up Date
only via Student Center "orientation" link
HOOP Session Start Date
Sessions start at 9:00am
HOOP Session End** Date
Sessions end at 5:00pm
Priority* Session: May 1
Condensed Session: June 2
Standard Session: July 11
*Priority session students will be able to register prior to new first-time freshmen if sign-up is completed by May 1st and all HOOP steps are completed. If the May 1st deadline is missed, students will register after first-time freshmen register in June. ** End date means that you must complete the online HOOP course and survey as well as your online major advising during the session. Students who fail to complete all steps before the session end date will not be able to register for classes until the next session opens.
download the HOOP checklist
To start HOOP you must FIRST reserve your space! *You must reserve your space in a HOOP session via your Student Center. We will open the reservation system on March 3 and it will close on July 11. To reserve your space, click on the "orientation" link in your Student Center and be sure to complete all pages of the process. You will see a green "COMPLETE" indicator at the top of the page when you have successfully completed signing up.
Step 1. Signing into your HOOP course in Moodle via myHumboldt.
***Once your HOOP start date arrives, you will not access the HOOP course via Student Center. You can only access HOOP in Moodle.
Step 2. Starting the HOOP course.
The course is only visible during the session times. If you attempt to access HOOP prior to the start time, you will not see the course since it is "hidden" to you until the session start time.
HOOP will introduce you to key academic regulations and requirements as well as campus programs and services.
See the images below to help you find the HOOP course once the session starts.
- after you click "ongoing courses" at the top, you will then see the HOOP course in the center of the page. It looks like this:
Watch a video about this step on our youtube.com channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/HSUOrientation?feature=watch
Video script: Entering the HOOP course
Step 3. Completing the HOOP survey
At the end of your HOOP you will see a link that reads "Go to HOOP survey." This survey must be completed in full and submitted in order to demonstrate that you've completed HOOP. Afterwards, your "HOOP registration hold" will be removed the next business day.
Step 4. Connecting with your HOOP advisor
During HOOP, you will see contact information for your HOOP advisor. This is the faculty member that is assigned to your academic major. After you have completed steps 1 through 3, you will need to connect with your HOOP advisor based on their stated method of communication. Once you've received advising, your advising hold will be removed. This process is not instantaneous and may take up to one week to complete.
Step 5.Registering for your classes at HSU
Once HOOP and your advising are complete, all orientation-related holds will be removed from your account and you could be ready to register for your classes. We cover the registration process during HOOP. Feel free to return to your HOOP course for a refresher and any helpful tips as you sit down to register for classes.
Optional HOOP Connect will take place in August for those who wish to supplement their online orientation with an on-campus experience. Email invitation will be sent in August. HOOP Connect is not a replacement for HOOP.
Orientation Fees for Students
Please read our dates & fees page for information about fees and refunds.