Humboldt Online Orientation Program (HOOP)
- HOOP is an introduction to the resources and requirements of HSU.
- All spring applicants must complete this course prior to registering for classes.
- Included are: general degree requirement information, major requirements, department advisor contact information, hands on learning opportunies, sexual assault awareness training, and contact information for your advisor .
- You will have two HOOP related holds on your account that you must clear prior to registering for classes.
- One is cleared 24 hours after completing HOOP.
- The second is cleared after confirming your schedule with your advisor.
- You can register in your student center in the lower right hand corner, where there is an "Orientation" link.
- You will see a green "COMPLETE" indicator at the top of the page when you have successfully completed signing up.
- Once you complete all of the HOOP steps within the session window, you may register for your HSU classes. New students to HSU register after all currently-enrolled students. Class registration will begin for most students at least 48 hours after completing the first HOOP step. Registration access is not instantaneous.
- There are a few steps involved in the HOOP process. We explain them below.
Navigating to the HOOP Course
Step 1. Signing into your HOOP course in Moodle via myHumboldt.
- You can only access HOOP during the window that you registered for. It will be hidden prior and after those dates.
- You can only access HOOP in Moodle, not Student Center.
Step 2. Starting the HOOP course.
HOOP will introduce you to key academic regulations and requirements as well as campus programs and services.
See the images below to help you find the HOOP course once the session starts. Your course is titled HOOP Fall 16 and will be the only HOOP course visible to you in the "ongoing courses" section.
- after you click "ongoing courses" at the top, you will then see the HOOP course in the center of the page. It looks like this:
Watch a video about this step on our youtube.com channel!:
Video script: Entering the HOOP course
Step 3. Completing the HOOP survey
At the end of your HOOP you will see a link that reads "Go to HOOP survey." This survey must be completed in full and submitted in order to demonstrate that you've completed HOOP. Afterwards, your "HOOP registration hold" will be removed the next business day.
Step 4. Connecting with your HOOP advisor
During HOOP, you will see contact information for your HOOP advisor. This is the faculty member that is assigned to your academic major. After you have completed steps 1 through 3, you will need to connect with your HOOP advisor based on their stated method of communication. Once you've received advising, your advising hold will be removed. This process is not instantaneous and may take up to one week to complete.
Step 5.Registering for your classes at HSU
Once HOOP and your advising are complete, all orientation-related holds will be removed from your account and you could be ready to register for your classes. We cover the registration process during HOOP. Feel free to return to your HOOP course for a refresher and any helpful tips as you sit down to register for classes.
Upload your ID card photo
To get a head start on life at HSU, once you have enrolled in classes, you’ll be able to upload your own photo for your Humboldt student ID card. Uploading a photo is required for all students who will live on-campus, will expedite your access to campus services, and will ensure you are happy with the photo. PLEASE NOTE: you will not be able to upload your photo until after you’ve registered for classes.
How to upload a photo:
2. Click the button near the top to access Student Center
3. Use the navigation at the top of the page to go to: Main Menu > Humboldt CS Customization > HUM Records and Enrollment > Self Photo > Self Photo
4. Click 'Upload Photo'
5. You will need to browse to the photo you wish to upload. Once located, click OK.
This photo will be your permanent HSU ID card picture throughout your time at HSU. Please keep this in mind when selecting your photo. Once uploaded, you will not be able to change your photo.
The photo will need to meet the following requirements:
* Must have a white background
* Must be in color (black and white photos will not be accepted)
* Must be a full front view of your head and shoulders only
* Cropped from just above the top of head to collarbone
* Do not retouch or otherwise enhance or soften photo
* The file must be in jpg or jpeg format
* File size cannot exceed 5MB
* No inappropriate or offensive photographs
* No hats
* No sunglasses
A separate Photo ID will be required to pick up your HSU ID card.
We look forward to seeing you soon here at HSU!
HOOP is designed for both incoming freshman and transfer students for the spring 2017 semester.
To secure your space in HOOP, you must confirm your intent to enroll at HSU in your Student Center. There is no separate sign-up for HOOP. You will automatically be enrolled in HOOP based on your confirmation of intent to enroll.
HOOP will open Monday December 5th at 9:00am and will close on Friday December 9th at 5:00pm.
All HOOP steps must be completed online during this window.
We are not able to open the orientation before or have it remain open after this window. If you wish to attend HSU in the spring, please be sure to complete the entire process during this week.
HOOP is completed entirely online. You will register for classes as the final step of HOOP. All new students register after currently-enrolled students register for classes. To learn more about the steps, please scroll down and begin reading at "HOOP Steps."