HSU Professional Development Newsletter - February 2018
This month inside HSU Professional Development Newsletter:
- Fall in Love with Learning - “I’m looking for my partner in crime. If you love long walks through the SkillPort library, discussing new communication approaches, and taking classes through HRAPS or Skillshops, then we might be the perfect match!” How could you not fall in love with learning? Now what?
- Microsoft Excel 2016 Intermediate: Customizing Views, Styles, and Templates - Making the Microsoft Excel 2016 environment look exactly the way you want it to is easy. In this course, you will learn how to configure how you want a workbook and the work area itself to appear. You will also learn how to add and customize templates and styles to really make Excel 2016 work for you.
- Encouraging Team Communication and Collaboration - In this course, you'll learn techniques for encouraging effective communication and overcoming communication problems. You'll also learn strategies for encouraging team collaboration. Finally, you'll learn about tools and technologies that are commonly used for virtual team communication and key considerations for establishing virtual communication guidelines.
- HR Database Changes - Many of you have heard the news that all of the CSUs will be transitioning to a Common Human Resources System (CHRS) in approximately three years. Many of us are preparing by assisting in design review, cleaning up existing data and providing feedback for consideration in creating best practices.
- What Google Learned About Its Employees - The conventional wisdom about 21st century skills holds that students need to master the STEM subjects — science, technology, engineering and math — and learn to code as well because that's where the jobs are. It turns out that is a gross simplification of what students need to know and be able to do, and some proof for that comes from a surprising source: Google.
- Change in Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Requirements - The Chancellor's Office has revised Executive Order 1083 (Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect) to identify specific groups of employees as Mandated Reporters of child abuse. Learn more about CANRA and how these changes could affect you by taking the "Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect" training via Skillport.
- TED Talk - 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation
- On the Bookshelf - Two books available for free on Skillport: Love It, Don't Leave It: 26 Ways to Get What You Want at Work & Love Your Job: The New Rules of Career Happiness
- Skillpshops @ the Library
- HSU Workshop for Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process - February 13 @ 11 AM
- Upcoming Training Opportunities
- and more!
Please visit our February 2018 Newsletter.