Skip to secondary navigation
Skip to content

HSU Policies

VPAA 11-06 Policy for Awarding Certificates of Achievement and Posthumous Degrees

Applies To:
Printer-friendly version
Month/Year Posted: 
Policy Number: 
VPAA 11-06

The following policy outlines procedures and criteria for awarding Certificates of Achievement and Posthumous Degrees:

· In order for students to qualify for a posthumous degree they must have been seniors when they last attended courses at HSU and successfully completed more than half of their major’s courses.
· Students must be in good standing and have been enrolled at HSU within the past three semesters.
· Students who do not qualify for a posthumous degree, may be awarded a Certificate of Achievement if the student was in good standing and had been enrolled at HSU within the past three semesters prior to his/her death.

· The process for awarding a posthumous degree or Certificate of Achievement is initiated with a letter from the major program to the provost identifying the student and requesting action.
   o Letters from other constituents (e.g., family) requesting a posthumous degree will be directed to the academic program faculty for consideration.
· The Provost or his/her designee will review requests from the major programs and make a determination that the application satisfies the criteria and then authorize the Posthumous Degree if warranted under the terms of this policy.
· In the case of a student who does not have a major, or other circumstances that makes it difficult for the program faculty to initiate the process, the provost may determine that the situation warrants a Certificate of Achievement and issue one independently.
· The provost or designee will communicate with the family to determine the optimal manner in which to confer the Posthumous Degree or Certificate of Achievement (in person, at commencement, by mail, etc.).
Senate Approved: 9/20/11
President Richmond Approved: 10/14/11

Office of the President • 1 Harpst St., Arcata, CA 95521 • 707.826.3311• Contact Us.