The Faculty-in-Residence program provides residents the opportunity to interact with a faculty member in a unique setting—the residence hall. This program began in the fall of 2014 in Sunset Hall. A faculty member, Dr. Amy Rock, lives in the residence halls, holds office hours, and hosts a variety of activities.
What activities are available?
The activities that are offered will be chosen by the faculty member. Below are some of the possibilities:
• Study sessions
• Academic advising
• Major exploration
• Career exploration
• Trips into the local community
• Cookie baking
• Volleyball games
• Ice cream socials
• Game nights
Why should a faculty member live in the residence halls?
The Faculty-in-Residence program supports student success in a variety of ways. Residents will have the opportunity to get to know faculty in informal settings, outside of the classroom. This helps students and faculty to get to know each other in new and different ways. The activities that the faculty member will offer will help students to become more comfortable talking with faculty, continue conversations from inside the classroom, learn more about what academic resources are available to students, learn more about majors and careers, and much more!
The research supports Faculty-in-Residence (FIR) programs.
Faculty-student interaction outside the classroom improves:
• GPA (Astin, 1993)
• Graduating with honors (Astin, 1993)
• Degree attainment (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005; Astin, 1993)
• Educational aspirations, including going to graduate or professional school (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005; Astin, 1993)
• Career preparation (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005)
• Create a culture of learning in the residence halls (Sriram, et al., 2011)
• Increase student access to faculty (Zellner & Moore, 2011)
• Provide faculty with opportunities to enhance teaching practices (Sriram, et al., 2011)
• Provide faculty with opportunities to gain a better understanding of today’s students (Sriram, et al, 2011).
I am a faculty member. How do I learn more?
We’re glad you’re interested! Please see our application process page for more information.
Additionally, you can contact Patty O'Rourke-Andrews, Associate Director at email@example.com or 707 826-3451.