The Faculty-in-Residence and Staff-in-Residence program provides residents the opportunity to interact with faculty and staff members in a unique setting—the residence halls. Dr. Amy Rock is our Faculty-in-Residence and Dr. John Johnson is our Staff-in-Residence. They hold regularly scheduled office hours, host programs, and collaborate with other HSU faculty on programming in the halls. The Faculty-in-Residence and Staff-in-Residence programs are currently offered in Sunset Hall and Creekview Apartments.
What activities are available?
The activities that are offered will be chosen by the faculty/staff member. Below are some of the possibilities:
• Study sessions
• Academic advising
• Major exploration
• Career exploration
• Trips into the local community
• Cookie baking
• Volleyball games
• Ice cream socials
• Game nights
• Craft nights
• Academic programs
Why should a faculty or staff member live in the residence halls?
The Faculty/Staff-in-Residence program supports student success in a variety of ways. Residents will have the opportunity to get to know faculty and staff in informal settings, outside of the classroom. This helps students and faculty/staff to get to know each other in new and different ways. The activities that the faculty/staff member will offer will help students to become more comfortable talking with faculty/staff, continue conversations from inside the classroom, learn more about what academic resources are available to students, learn more about majors and careers, and much more!
Interaction outside the classroom improves:
• GPA (Astin, 1993)
• Graduating with honors (Astin, 1993)
• Degree attainment (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005; Astin, 1993)
• Educational aspirations, including going to graduate or professional school (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005; Astin, 1993)
• Career preparation (Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005)
• Create a culture of learning in the residence halls (Sriram, et al., 2011)
• Increase student access to faculty (Zellner & Moore, 2011)
• Provide faculty with opportunities to enhance teaching practices (Sriram, et al., 2011)
• Provide faculty with opportunities to gain a better understanding of today’s students (Sriram, et al, 2011).
I am a faculty/staff member. How do I learn more?
We’re glad you’re interested! Please see our application process page for more information.
Additionally, you can contact Joselle Wagner, Area Coordinator, at Joselle.Wagner@humboldt.edu or 707 826-5534.
|FIR & SIR Job Announcement.pdf||400.63 KB|