About the STARS College
STARS College is a three-day experience for undergraduates interested in learning more about Student Affairs and the Housing profession. Blending large group presentations and small mentoring groups, STARS presents the world of Housing to those interested in the field. Each participant will be asked to have an “on-campus mentor,” who will play a vital role in continued mentoring and exposure to the field after STARS.
STARS College accommodates 40-55 current sophomores and juniors who are interested in pursuing a career in housing. Participants must have at least one full year of undergraduate college left after August of 2012, and must have demonstrated significant interest in Housing / Residential Life / Student Affairs through their involvement and / or work experience during their time as an undergrad.
About the HSU Housing Scholarship
Humboldt State University Housing is committed to providing one scholarship for a student to attend the STARS College in Minneapolis, Minnesota on June 10-14, 2013. The successful scholarship applicant will have their registration fees (approximately $500) and airfare to the conference (up to $400) covered. Registration includes three (3) nights of double occupancy in university residence halls, registration materials, and STARS College meal package. Participants have an opportunity to stay afterwards and attend the ACUHO-I Annual Conference and Exposition though they must sign up to volunteer for approximately 20 hours of service during the conference.
The scholarship recipient, once selected, will need to resubmit their application to the ACUHO-I College for admission. However, the HSU scholarship application process is designed as a preparation for this application and feedback will be provided to improve the application.
Dates and Deadlines
Here is a anticipated timeline for the process:
• December 7, 2012: Applications for HSU Housing Scholarship due
• January 25, 2013: Applicants for the scholarship notified of application status
• March 1, 2013: Scholarship recipient will be provided feedback on application.
• April (day TBD), 2013: Scholarship recipient must submit application to STARS
• May (day TBD), 2013: STARS College applicants will be notified of their status
• June 10-14, 2013: ACUHO-I Stars College occurs, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
• June 15-18, 2013: 2013 ACUHO-I Annual Conference & Exposition.
- be an HSU student;
- have at least one full year of undergraduate college left after August of 2012;
- demonstrated significant interest in Housing / Residential Life / Student Affairs (can be demonstrated through employment or involvement);
How to Apply
To submit your application for the HSU Scholarship, please complete the ONLINE HSU SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION. Questions on the HSU Scholarship Application are identical to the ones found on the STARS College Application found here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jeremy Davis at (707) 826-5534 or Jeremy.Davis@humboldt.edu.
For more information on the STARS College, please visit the ACUHO-I website.