Fire Extinguishers on Campus – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What and who to report to if I use a Fire Extinguisher?
Who to report to:
- 911 or University Police (707) 826-5555 for any emergency fires.
- After the fact, report to Risk Management & Safety Services at (707) 826-3305 or 826-5711.
When to report:
- Any injuries associated with the incident or fire.
- Any fires which caused significant damage to University property.
- Any fires within student residential halls or dorms.
- Any fire involving laboratories or areas storing hazardous materials.
- Any fire in which the fire department was contacted to extinguish the fire.
- Suspicious or arson fires that do not cause significant damage.
- Any fire which activated a suppression system (Sprinkler system).
What to report:
- Name and department of the person reporting the incident.
- Date, time, and location of the incident.
- Phone number where reporting person can be contacted.
- A brief description of the incident.
Who can use fire extinguishers?
Fire extinguishers can be utilized for emergency use if you have been trained. The Risk Management & Safety Services department offers Fire Extinguisher training, you can request the training for your department by reviewing the Health & Safety Training website or visiting the Training & Professional Development website.
The basic acronym to remember for extinguisher use is P. A. S. S.
Pull the pin
Aim at the base or source of the fire
Squeeze the handle
Sweep from side-to-side
How do I obtain a fire extinguisher for my area, event, or temporary use?
Permanent installation: The Campus Building Official must approve requests for fire extinguishers installation in facilities. You may request an evaluation through the Customer Service Request webpage.
Replacement of extinguishers: Extinguishers need to be replaced immediately if they are out of inspection date, have deficiencies or after they are used (even if the extinguisher is not completely discharged). Contact your supervisor or maintenance personnel for replacement immediately.Used
Events or temporary use: To obtain a fire extinguisher for an event or temporary use, contact Facilities Management to check out an extinguisher. After the event or use has ceased immediately return the extinguisher to Facilities Management.
*Note* Do NOT purchase an extinguisher without contacting Facilities Management prior to the purchase. There has been a problem in the past with inventory of fire extinguishers on campus.
What to do if I notice an absent fire extinguisher, deficient extinguisher or fire system?
Depending on the problem or deficiency, this could be emergent, which would require notifying your maintenance (Facilities Management or Housing) department immediately.
Facilities Work Control: (707) 826-4475
Housing Services: (707) 826-3451
If the extinguisher is blocked or obstructed from access, inform the person of the obstruction or temporarily move the obstruction to allow access. This must only be performed if you are not putting yourself or others at risk of injury.
Monthly & Annual Inspections of Fire Extinguishers
There is an annual and monthly inspections which occur for HSU Fire Extinguishers.
Monthly Inspections: are a visual inspection performed by our maintenance personnel. Facilities and Housing maintenance inspect the following to ensure the extinguisher is in proper working condition:
- Extinguisher is present, visible and unobstructed in its designated location.
- Verify the pin is in place and the tamper seal is unbroken.
- Inspect for visual damage, corrosion, leak, or deficient nozzle.
- Verify pressure gauge is in operable range and charge properly (green area of gauge).
- Ensure the operating instructions are legible and facing outwards.
- Verify the last annual inspection was performed within the past 12 months.
- Initial and date the extinguisher tag to verify the inspection took place.
- Report any deficiencies to your supervisor and replace the fire extinguisher immediately.
Annual Inspections: a professional contractor performs Annual Inspections for all campus extinguishers. These inspections verify the listed items above and every 6 years require static pressure testing.