Humboldt State University is responsible for endeavoring to protect the lives and property of every person who is on the campus, and for maintaining an environment suitable for the orderly conduct of its educational function. The University must be prepared at all times to respond to circumstances and situations that would adversely affect the ability of the University to fulfill these responsibilities. In addition, the University has a responsibility to assist as required in cases of emergencies that occur in the off-campus community.
The Emergency Management Program establishes policies and procedures and assigns responsibilities to ensure the effective management of campus operations during emergency situations. Additionally, the organization provides direction for disseminating emergency public information, establishing emergency communications, developing alerting and warning procedures, and assessing and reporting damage.
If you would like more information or to report an incident on HSU campus:
- Dial 911 for emergencies
- Dial 826-5555 for non-emergency assistance
Emergency Management Organization
The campus Emergency Management Organization is comprised of designated staff and faculty who are responsible for various aspects of all emergency operations.
This organization chart shows the relationships between personnel and functional units and lists the current campus personnel who are actively fulfilling the roles assigned to them.
Emergency Operations Center
Humboldt State University's Emergency Operations Center is located in the Student & Business Services Building. The EOC is maintained in a state of readiness in case of critical incidents or disasters such as earthquakes.
Be Informed & Prepared
- The North Coast is prone to earthquakes, severe weather, road slides, and utility interruptions. In case of severe emergency, every person should be prepared to sustain themselves with food, water and shelter. Emergency response or support could take 3-5 days or longer to arrive.
- Every student, faculty and staff should/must store sealed bottled water, non-perishable food, flashlight, and a battery-operated radio.
- Interested students/faculty may seek specialized training from the American Red Cross and/or by applying to Humboldt’s Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT).
- Watch real-life earthquake videos, explore links to CERT, to Humboldt County Red Cross, and print out supply lists - all of which are available on our website.
|Willie Bence||Emergency Management Coordinator||4635|
Emergency Management Coordinator is located in the Student & Business Services Building, at the corner of Harpst and Rossow Streets, Suite 345 on the third floor.
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
Phone: (707) 826-3512
Fax: (707) 826-3312
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.