Humboldt State University is responsible for endeavoring to protect the lives and property of every person who is on the campus, and for maintaining an environment suitable for the orderly conduct of its educational function. The University must be prepared at all times to respond to circumstances and situations that would adversely affect the ability of the University to fulfill these responsibilities. In addition, the University has a responsibility to assist as required in cases of emergencies that occur in the off-campus community.
The Emergency Management Program establishes policies and procedures and assigns responsibilities to ensure the effective management of campus operations during emergency situations. Additionally, the organization provides direction for disseminating emergency public information, establishing emergency communications, developing alerting and warning procedures, and assessing and reporting damage.
If you need to report an incident on campus:
- Dial 911 for emergencies
- Dial 826-5555 for non-emergency assistance
For more information regarding HSU Emergency Management:
- Call 826-4635 or
- Email EOC@humboldt.edu
Emergency Operations Plan
The Emergency Operations Plan and Guidelines contain University policies, procedures, guidelines, and an organizational structure for response to a major emergency or disaster affecting HSU. Click here to view the most recent edition of HSU's EOP-G.
Be Informed & Prepared
- The North Coast is prone to earthquakes, severe weather, road slides, and utility interruptions. In case of severe emergency, every person should be prepared to sustain themselves with food, water and shelter. Emergency response or support could take 3-5 days or longer to arrive.
- Every student, faculty and staff should/must store sealed bottled water, non-perishable food, flashlight, and a battery-operated radio.
- Interested students/faculty may seek specialized training from the American Red Cross and/or by applying to Humboldt’s Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT).
- Watch real-life earthquake videos, explore links to CERT, to Humboldt County Red Cross, and print out supply lists - all of which are available on our website.
|Kimberly Comet||Director of Risk Management & Safety||3305|
|Willie Bence||Emergency Management Coordinator||4635|
Emergency Management Coordinator is located in the Student & Business Services Building, at the corner of Harpst and Rossow Streets, Suite 345 on the third floor.
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
Phone: (707) 826-3512
Fax: (707) 826-3312
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.