- Founder's Hall, 1939
Science Education at Humboldt State College, the
Early Years: 1934-53
The instruments seen in this portion of the
museum were used in teaching Chemistry, Physics, and Life Sciences
at a time when Humboldt still served mostly for the preparation
of school teachers for the north coast region of California. However
it was also during this period when Humboldt began to focus on
programs important to the rich natural resources surrounding it,
such as wildlife and forestry.
Some Significant Events for Humboldt Science:
- 1935 - Humboldt was renamed Humboldt State
College. It had a student body of 275, with 31 faculty members.
- 1940 - William and Hortense Lanphere introduced
a two year program in Wildlife Management. In 1941 Humboldt's
enrollment peaked at 481 students, it was to fall to 176 by 1944.
- 1945 - Humboldt was reorganized into five
- 1946 saw the hiring of Roscoe "Rocky"
Peithman (Physical Science and Physics, at Humboldt 1946-1977),
who would be influential in the development of the physical sciences
at Humboldt. HSC was accredited by NW Association of Secondary
and Higher Schools in 1946.
- 1947 - The B.A. in Wildlife Management was
- 1948 saw the hiring of the first Professor
of Chemistry, Dr Arthur Smith. Prior to this time faculty were
listed in science or physical science, etc. rather than in specialties.
- 1952 - The Science Building (now the west-wing
of Science A) was completed.
- 1953 - The Wildlife Management building was
- © R. Paselk
- Last modified 3 September 2010