Humboldt State University

Department of Social Work

BASW Field Experience

Students pursuing their undergraduate Social Work degree complete three components of Field Experience during their course of study.

Beginning Volunteer Experience: Students complete 60 hours of volunteer activities within an organization or tribal program that provides assistance to individuals. Students do this while enrolled in the SW 255 seminar. SW 255 ideally is completed during the freshman or sophomore year, prior to application to the Bachelors Program. This course can be waived with permission of advisor.

Social Agency Experience: Students complete 60 hours of volunteer activities while also building understanding of agency structure and policies. Students do this while enrolled in the SW 355 seminar. This course must be completed before students can advance to their Senior Year Internship experience. Students must be accepted into the Bachelors Program in order to enroll in this course.

Senior Year Internship: Students complete 400 internship hours over their Fall and Spring semesters. Prior to internship placement, students complete SW 356 during the spring of their Junior year. This course provides support and structure for students to select potential internship sites and participate in interviews. All internship placements are confirmed by the Director of Field Education. Students begin their internship placements during the fall semester of their Senior year and participate in SW 455/456 for both semesters. In these courses, students engage in seminar discussions, write reflective journals and develop learning agreements which reflect the competencies established by the Council on Social Work Education.

If you are located in the service area of another California State University that has an undergraduate Social Work program please explore your options for completing your degree requirements through that school as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to secure a Senior Year Internship field placement for you if you live near another CSU. Students who are currently employed in the social work field may be an exception to this limitation.

On-campus students considering Senior Year Internship placements outside of Humboldt County must complete a brief application during the Fall of their Junior year in order to be enrolled in the appropriate SW 356 Course.

NOTE:  All internship field placements require a preliminary meeting with and final approval from Yvonne Doble, Director of Field Education: