Humboldt State University

Department of Social Work

MSW Application Process

To enroll at HSU please goto Cal State Apply.*   This is the official application system for all 23 campuses in the California State University, and you will need to create an account. 





To apply to the MSW program please complete the application HERE.


Applications are reviewed by faculty who are a part of the admissions committee. Decisions are made by this committee and recommendations for admission are made to graduate admissions. Students will be notified of offers of admission from the department and university. Formal enrollment materials will come from the University and information about orientation and classes will come from the department.

Questions?  Please contact our Admissions Coordinator at or (707) 826-5350.


* NOTE FOR ONLINE ADVANCED STANDING PROGRAM APPLICANTS:  When beginning your CalState Apply application, you will be asked about program format (campus/online) and term (summer/fall). Please choose the CAMPUS MSW option for FALL 2018. You will be asked later in your application to specify your program choice between the 2 Year Campus, the 1 Year Adv Standing Campus, and the 2 Year Online Adv Standing programs. You can specify here that you'd like to be considered for the Distributed Learning program and you will be required to answer supplemental questions for this program. You are also able to select more than one program at this point if you'd like to be considered for multiple options (for example, both campus and online advanced standing).