Humboldt State University Department of Social Work Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC-SW) - Beginning SUMMER 2019
The HSU Department of Social Work is pleased to announce the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC-SW) program. The PPSC-SW prepares post-MSWs to practice school social work. The credential program consists of two 3-unit online courses. The cost is $510 per unit. Financial aid is not available at this time.
Applications will be accepted January 1 - March 31, 2019. The credential program consists of two online courses during Summer 2019.*
*Note: Summer session will take place between May 28 - July 20, 2019. The PPSC-SW program at HSU is a post-MSW program. Course offerings are dependent on minimum enrollment. Please see the PPSC-SW Handbook for course descriptions.
Candidates must have completed the following requirements:
1. Receipt of a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
2. 1,000 total internship hours, of which:
- 450 clock hours in a school-based practice field placement supervised by a PPSC-credentialed practitioner; these hours MUST be completed during the MSW.
- 100 of these 450 hours need to be with at least 10 pupils of an ethnic background different from that of the candidate.
- Hours shall be provided in settings with at least two age groups such as preschool, elementary, middle, high school with a minimum of 100 clock hours at each setting.
- For candidates who completed the MSW via Advanced Standing, BASW hours can ONLY be applied to the remaining 550 total internship hours.
3. Completion of the CBEST by the March 31st deadline. See this LINK for information about completing the CBEST.
4. Completion of live scan fingerprinting (separate from those done for internships) and obtain a Certificate of Clearance. See this LINK to access the necessary form and other information regarding fingerprinting.
5. Obtain a TB test.
6. Official undergraduate and MSW transcripts.
Please see the PPSC-SW Handbook for Humboldt State University Department of Social Work’s PPSC complete program requirements.
If you are interested in applying for the program beginning SUMMER 2019, please email Julie Slater North at Julie.Slater@humboldt.edu.
More About the Pupil Personnel Services Credential
The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) issues Pupil Personnel Services Credentials (PPSC) with authorizations in four service areas: school counseling, school psychology, school social work, and school child welfare and attendance services. Social workers who work in California K-12 Public Schools are usually required to hold a PPSC with a specialization in School Social Work.
The PPSC-SW authorizes the holder of the credential to perform the following duties:
- Assess home, school, personal, and community factors that may affect a student’s learning.
- Identify and provide intervention strategies for children and their families, including counseling, case management, and crisis intervention.
- Consult with teachers, administrators, and other school staff regarding social and emotional needs of students.
- Coordinate family, school, and community resources on behalf of students.
The PPSC-SW program builds upon the breadth and depth of the MSW curriculum, by providing specialized instruction to develop the knowledge, skills, and values required to effectively provide social work services within public school systems. Social workers who successfully complete the program will be eligible to apply to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for the Pupil Personnel Services Credential in School Social Work.
DOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT for additional information regarding the PPSC-SW.