Plan Your Coursework
Picking Courses: Each semester, you will want to check in with your Major Advisor, and plan what to take the next semester. The HSU Class Schedule is usually updated close to the time registration opens to show dates and times for courses offered the following semester.
Major Contracts: These forms will show you all of the courses you must take to get your degree in Sociology or Criminology and Justice Studies. You will use this form with your Major Advisor to map out a plan for completing the degree. The Major Contract will be submitted to the registrar when you apply for graduation.
Course Rotations: These show you what the Department of Sociology plans to teach each semester for the next five years. Use this for short term and long term course planning.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Think critically about social and environmental justice efforts and inequalities in communities and environments.
- Make linkages between empirical data and theoretical concepts.
- Develop the ability to critically engage with research methodology.
- Communicate effectively orally (a) and in writing (b).
Your capstone experience is the culminating project you complete as you finish your degree in Sociology and Criminology and Justice Studies. You will choose between completing a Thesis, an Internship, or a Community Action Research project. Click here to learn about your BA capstone.
Apply for Graduation
No matter your major or minor, you will need to apply for graduation from HSU once you have reached at least 60 units. Work with your Major Advisor to ensure you have a current Major/Minor Contract on file with the registrar.
Other Resources to help you navigate your time at HSU
- 5-Year Course Rotation for Criminology and Justice Studies or Sociology