Forms 1098-T, Tuition Statement

What is Form 1098-T?

IRS Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement provides information from educational institutions to students which may be of use in determining a student's eligibility for two tax credits, the American Opportunity Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit. This form can also provide information for other Tuition and Fees Deduction. However, the enrollment information by itself does not establish eligibility for either credit or deduction. The information being reported to the IRS verifies your enrollment with regards to certain eligibility criteria.

Reminder from the IRS

When figuring an education credit or the tuition and fees deduction, use only the amounts you paid and are deemed to have paid during the tax year for qualified education expenses. In most cases, the student should receive Form 1098-T from the eligible educational institution by January 31, 2015. An institution may choose to report either payments received during calendar year 2014 (box 1), or amounts billed during the calendar year 2014 (box 2), for qualified education expenses. However, the amounts in boxes 1 and 2 of Form 1098-T might be different than the amount you actually paid and are deemed to have paid. In addition, the Form 1098-T should give you other information for that institution, such as adjustments made for prior years, the amount of scholarships or grants, reimbursements, or refunds, and whether the student was enrolled at least half-time or was a graduate student.

For more information on eligibility rules, see:

At IRS Website

On-Line 1098-T Forms

Students can print an electronic 1098T form from their Student Center. Select the "View 1098-T" link on the dropped down menu under Finances on their Student Center. You will need to Grant Consent to receive on-line access or print forms electronically. Detail information about your qualifying charges & scholarship will also be available.

More Information

For more info on the contents and use of the 1098-T forms, contact Student Financial Services at 707-826-4934 or look at our Frequently-Asked Questions on 1098-T