A place for students to take exams in an accommodated environment

ELM / EPT Examination

What Are the EPT and ELM Examinations?

The California State University (CSU) requires new freshman and transfer applicants to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry Level Mathematics Test (ELM) after admission and prior to enrollment in the CSU, unless the applicant is exempt based on scores earned on certain other examinations such as SAT or ACT, or certain college coursework. A full list of the exemptions can be found in the CSU ELM/EPT Information Bulletin.

The EPT and the ELM are not admission tests; instead, they determine eligibility to enroll in specific courses. If you are required to take the EPT and/or the ELM, but fail to do so, you will not be allowed to register for courses at Humboldt State or any other CSU campus.

How Do I Know If I Need To Take One or Both Of These Tests?

If you are a current applicant to Humboldt, you will be notified with your Letter of Admission if you need to take one or both tests. Humboldt applicants can also see if they need to take the test(s) by logging into their Student Center (Click on "Login to Student Center" and then on "Application Status").

EOP Students

First-time Freshmen admitted to the Educational Opportunity Program take a special offering of the EPT/ELM in the summer; refer to the Summer Bridge Packet regarding the ELM and EPT exams.

Where and When Can I Take These Tests?

You may take the test(s) at any CSU campus. There are several testing dates from which to choose. You should check with the campus to which you have been admitted to determine the date by which you are required to have taken the EPT and/or ELM. Fall Humboldt applicants must take the EPT/ELM no later than the May test offering.

Out-of-state students can call 1-925-808-2142 or email csuoutofstate@ets.org for information. There is an additional fee for testing outside the state of California.

How Can I Prepare For These Tests?

Sample questions are provided in the CSU ELM/EPT Information Bulletin.

Register for EPT/ELM Examination at ETS.org.