Faculty & Staff Margaret Kelso, Dramatic Writing
Barbara Hogenson Agency165 West End Avenue
Suite 19 C
New York, NY 10023
Education and Theatre Experience:
- 1987 M.F.A. in Playwriting Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 1985 M.A. in English University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC.
- 1982 B.A. in English Queens College, Charlotte, North Carolina, summa cum laude.
Types of Dramatic Writing
- Plays Musicals
- Children's Plays
- Interactive Computer Applications
- Television Scripts
- Film Scripts
- Radio Plays
- Mock Trials (for the legal profession)
- Dramatic Presentation for Conflict Resolution
- Scenes for Sensitivity Training
Theatrical Production of Original Plays
- Critical Care (Two one-act plays: Bea and Medical Court) Humboldt State University, September 2004.
- Outside Women on Stage, Plays in Progress, Eureka, CA August 2000 What if We took Out the Closet? Women on Stage, Plays in Progress, Eureka, CA August 1999.
- The Sex in Question, Humboldt State University, December 1997.
- The Big Bad Wolf and the Endangered Forest, (music and lyrics by Lawrence Goldberg), National tour by Artists International Management, Inc.; 1997-98; Portland Opera, Portland OR, December 1995,; (Workshop March, 1995).
- Dreams: A Program for Black History Month, by the children of Hazelwood, PA. February, 1994; Hazelwood Library Theater.
- Martin Luther King, January, 1994, Hazelwood Library Theater.
- Connections, Spring 1991; Birmingham Lofts, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Bea, April 1995, Carlow College, Pittsburgh, PA; September 1994, Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA; March 1990, West Beth Theater Center, NYC: a reading directed by Geralding Fitzgerald. April 1988, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV. October 1987, Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA. May 1982, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, NC.
- Dealing in Justice: A New Civil Rights Musical, (Workshop with grant from Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas) wrote book and co-authored lyrics; December 1988, Carnegie Mellon Theater Company's Studio Showcase of New Plays, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Intensive Care, (Workshop),July 1988, Carnegie Mellon Theater Company's Studio Showcase of New Plays, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Tenth Anniversary Pittsburgh Regatta, (wrote book and lyrics) August 1987, Carnegie Mellon University / City Theater, Pittsburgh, PA.
- The Lower Depths, (adaption), March 1987, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- A Christmas Carol, (co-authored adaption), December 1983, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte NC.
- Hotsie Totsie, (book for musical revue), March 1983, Panache Room of the Magic Pan Restaurant, NYC.
DramaturgyExtensive dramaturgy, particularly on new plays and video scripts.
Interactive Drama for Computer Applications
- Consultant for NASA SIMLAB, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Publication: "Dramatic Presence" by Margaret Thomas Kelso, Peter Weyhrauch and Joseph Bates, Presence, Volume 2, Number 1, Winter 1993.
- Presentation: "Alternative Narrative Structures," American Association for Artificial Intelligence, San Jose, 1992.
- Fellow of the Studio for Creative Inquiry, College of Fine Arts, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA. Scripted works for models of interactive drama for computer.
- Quest, March, August 1991.
- Deadline Murder Mystery (Adaption of Infocom Deadline Game), October 1990.
- Halloween Breakfast Trick or Treat, October 1990.
- Bus Stop, May 1990.
- Life Logic, Inc. (computer software developers) Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Other Theater Experience
- Theater Management (Juniata College Theater)
- Script Reader
- Theater Development
- Theater Public Relations
Theater Applicatoins in Other Fields
- Consulted for Mock Trial for Cinrich and McConomy, Pittsburgh, PA. Invited workshop leader for International Conference for Advancements in Business (Using Dramatic Scenarios for Solving Interpersonal Conflicts).
Awards and Prizes
- E. Roger Boyle Playwriting Award from the University of Virginia.
- Anne R. Newman Award for Excellence in the study of English.
- Majorie Blankenship Melton Award for Creative Writing.
- Dramatists Guild
- Association for Theater in Higher Education
- American College Theater Festival
- Theater Communications Group