Humboldt State University

veterans enrollment and transition services

skip navigation

Enrollment:  California Veteran Fee Waivers


Plan A

The spouse, child or unmarried surviving spouse of a veteran who is totally service connected disabled (100%), or died of service connected causes, may qualify. The veteran must have served during a qualifying war period. This program has no income limit. Age limits vary depending on specific circumstances. A dependent cannot receive this benefit at the same time they are in receipt of VA Chapter 35 benefits. NOTE: This waiver covers only the state university fee. There are additional campus fees that you must pay each time you register.

Plan B

The Child of a veteran who has a service connected disability (0% or greater), or had a service connected disability at the time of death, or died of a service connected disability, may qualify for a fee waiver. Students are required to meet income limit.

Plan C

Any dependent, or surviving spouse who has not remarried, or any member of the California National Guard, who in the line of duty, and while in active service of the state, was killed, or died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in active service of the state.

How to Apply

A Form DVS-40 must be signed and fully completed with all questions answered. Only students who are California residents can apply. If a question does not apply, write "N/A" (Not Applicable). You MUST submit a copy of your income tax form with your application. If you did not file a tax return, you are required to submit a form 4506-T from the IRS stating that you did not file a tax return. You are also required to provide proof of relationship to the veteran (for example: a marriage certificate, or proof of guardianship). If you are a child of a veteran, a parent must sign the application to verify the "value of support" that you do or do not receive from your parents.

Where to Apply

You can Contact your local County Veterans Service Officer or come by Veterans Enrollment & Transition Services located in lower library Rm 58.

When to Apply

At Humboldt State the summer term is leading term for the academic year. You must refile the DVS-40 each year.

What are Other States Offering?

Click here to see what tuition assistance and waivers are offered by other States.