Humboldt State University

veterans enrollment and transition services

skip navigation

Enrollment: Standards of Progress

The academic policy for students enrolled at Humboldt State is applicable to all students. However, in order to make explicit a few guidelines which are in compliance with the DVA, Humboldt State University and the California State Approving Agency's standards for institutions certifying veterans educational benefits; the university has established the following standards and guidelines for veterans and their dependents.

Satisfactory Progress

Veterans are required to make satisfactory progress toward graduation. If a veteran is placed on Academic Disqualification or Dismissal, DVA benefits may be terminated. Veterans who are not making satisfactory progress are required to report mitigating circumstances to the Veterans Certification Officer within 30 days. Veterans and eligible dependents are permitted a maximum of two semesters on probation before their benefits will be terminated due to unsatisfactory academic progress.

Baccalaureate and postbaccalaureate-level Veterans and eligible dependent students will be placed on Veterans academic probation if their cumulative grade point average (GPA) at Humboldt State University falls below a 2.00. The minimum GPA for graduation of 2.00 is enforced at the Junior level and beyond (for the purposes of academic disqualification).

Mitigating Circumstances

Veterans or dependents should use the following as a guide for determining mitigating circumstances. Some general categories are as follows:

  • Serious illness of the eligible veteran or dependent.
  • Serious illness or death in the eligible veteran's or dependents immediate family.
  • Immediate family or financial obligations which require a change in terms, hours, or place of employment which precludes pursuit of a course.
  • Discontinuance of a course by a school.
  • Active duty military service, including active duty for training, withdrawal from a course, or receipt of a non-punitive grade (NC, W) upon the completion of a course due to unsatisfactory work may be considered to be mitigating circumstances if the student can demonstrate good faith pursuit of the course up to the point of withdrawal or completion.

Satisfactory Progress / Incomplete Grade

Incomplete grades are assigned when course requirements are not completed due to "unforeseen but fully justified circumstances." A grade of SP is assigned when a course continues beyond the semester and the student is progressing satisfactorily. In both cases, DVA allows payment for Incomplete (I), Report Delayed (RD), and Report in Progess (RP) grades, from the last day of the semester that the grade was issued for a maximum of one year. At the end of one year a passing grade must be filed with the Office of the Registrar.

Withdrawal Procedures for Students
Mobilized for Active Duty

HSU students
who are in the military reserves or the
National Guard of the United States who
are called to active duty after the beginning
of a semester or summer session have two
options they may consider in determining
their enrollment status with the university.
Normal withdrawal procedures should be
followed whenever possible. However, if
students are unable to complete the necessary
paperwork by coming into the Office of
the Registrar, SBS 133, or writing a letter
of withdrawal, the university shall accept
notification from the student or a family
member. The Office of the Registrar will verify
all notifications.
Academic Regulations
Students may also contact Veterans
Enrollment & Transition Services, 707-
826-6272, with questions or for assistance
with required paperwork. Withdrawals as a
result of a verified call to active duty do not
count towards the 18-unit withdrawal limit.
OPTION 1 - Students may withdraw from
all courses:
A student may choose to do a total withdrawal
from all his/her classes, and under a
CSU policy, receive a full refund of tuition and
fees. This option requires that the student
withdraw from every course and receive
no grade for any course taken during the
To process this total semester withdrawal,
undergraduate students must contact the
Office of the Registrar, SBS 133, 707-826-
4101, or email to
complete the necessary paperwork and to
start the process for refunds; in addition
graduate students should notify the Office
of Academic Programs & Undergraduate/
Graduate Studies, Siemens Hall 217A, 707-
A student who does not plan to return to
HSU the next semester must request a leave
of absence. This approved leave of absence
will ensure that the student will retain their
catalog rights and will allow him/her to register
for subsequent terms without reapplying
for admission.
OPTION 2 - Students may take a grade of
incomplete in courses.
If a substantial part of the semester has
been completed by the time the student is
called for active military duty, the student
may meet with each instructor to determine
if the assignment of an incomplete
grade is practicable. The conditions for
completing coursework and receiving a
final grade should be agreed to between the
student and the instructor by completing an
Authorized Incomplete form available from
any academic department. If the assignment
of an incomplete grade is not practicable,
then students should be offered the option
of withdrawing from the course.
A student who does not plan to return to
HSU the next semester must request a leave
of absence. This approved leave of absence
will ensure that the student will retain their
catalog rights and will allow him/her to register
for subsequent terms without reapplying
for admission.

Change of Circumstances

Find information about special circumstances on the HSU Financial Aid site or download the following forms.