First Year (Freshman) Advising

Planning Your Classes

If you have read the 'Overview of the Bachelor's degree' and 'Understanding GE Requirements' and you have declared a WLDF major you are ready to plan your classes.

Click on the links below for your preferred option and print out the 4 year plan/MAP (Major Academic Planner) and the MAJOR/GEAR planner if you have not already done so. Full listings of all GE classes can be found from p.62 onwards in the HSU catalog

4 Year Plan and GEAR & Major planner for Option 1 (Wildlife Management & Conservation) OR

4 Year Plan and GEAR & Major planner for Option 2 (Conservation Biology/Applied Vertebrate Ecology)

The 4 year plan (MAP - Major Academic Planner) shows an example of how major and GE classes can be taken over 4 years. The exact order has some flexibility and will depend on where you are in your education when you arrive at HSU, e.g., you may need remedial Math; or you may have relevant AP credits from High School; or other classes taken at a Community College

These GEAR & Major planning guides have been adapted specifically for Wildlife majors - they comprise a one-page checklist of all major classes, in the approximate order that they should be taken; and a one- page GEAR (GE & All-University Requirements) class checklist.
Note: Lower Division GE's (LDGE) need to be taken before Upper Division GEs (UDGE).
All-university Requirements can be taken at any time.

Note that GE classes that double count for the major have been pre-filled for you.

Using a combination of the MAP and GEAR/major planner you can choose some classes for your first semester bearing the following advice in mind:

  1. To give yourself time to settle into a new environment, keep your units low ~ 12 -14.
  2. Choose at least one GE Area A class. If choosing English Composition you must take the English department DSP survey. It's very quick and will help you decide if you need one or two semesters of English Composition.
  3. Choose a Math class. If you require Math remediation you will be automatically registered for the appropriate class; or you may choose MATH 113, 115 or 105 - depending on your current level and which Wildlife option you declare. You need to have taken either MATH 113 or MATH 115 (or equivalent) prior to taking STAT 109.
  4. An ELM (Entry Level Math) score of 42 or above is the prerequisite to CHEM 107; and CHEM 107 is the prerequisite to BIOL 105.
  5. If you are uncertain about your choice of major, BOT 105 is a better choice over ZOOL 110, as it is a GE class as well as a major.
  6. The HOP (Humboldt Orientation Program) will show you how to register for classes and for additional help you can view Ready, Set, Register!

Gilly Black, the department academic advisor for Freshmen & Sophomores will be available over the summer by email

During the school year Gilly is available in her office in the Wildlife and Fisheries Building, room 268 or by phone: 707-826-3458. Please do not hesitate to contact her if you have any questions.

Example First Year MAPs

Wildlife Conservation and Management

Conservation Biology/Applied Vertebrate