French Abroad — Montpellier, France
Summer(July) Program in Montpellier, France
in collaboration with the Institut Européen de Français:
Experience southern France this summer and pursue intensive French language study at your own level. Study the culture in French lectures and travel with Institut Européen de Français guides to historic sites in Languedoc-Roussillon and Provence. Visit Mediterranean beaches and the famous horses of the Camargue; walk out on the Pont d’Avignon and the majestic Pont du Gard. Sing and dance to Occitan music. Earn nine semester credits in four weeks.
The Montpellier Program is a 4-week, full-immersion summer program offered exclusively by the Department of World Languages and Cultures to Humboldt State University students from all fields of study. Students from other universities and colleges, as well as community members, are also encouraged to apply.
Interested students who meet minimum qualifications should apply in the spring semester by completing the on-line application (TBA).
Montpellier is a sunny city in southern France [map] of approximately 250,000 inhabitants located on the Mediterranean coast between Marseille and the Spanish border.
The Institut Européen de Français has been preparing foreign students for 20 years and is affiliated with the Université de Montpellier, which dates back to the 15th century.
COURSES FOR OPTIONAL CREDIT (see Program Director for more information).
|Fren 321||Intensive French Language Taught in France
Intensive French language immersion studies on-site in France, in cooperation with the Institut Européen de Français. Graded according to attendance, participation, seriousness of study, and improvement of communicative skills. Grades determined by HSU professor in consultation with instructors in Montpellier.
|Fren 322||Cultural Journal in France
Cultural studies in French, experience living in the city of Montpellier, and guided excursions on-site in France provide material for process writing of daily cultural journal entries written in French. Historical sites may include Arles, Aigues-Mortes, Ste Marie de la Mer, Avignon, Sète, Nîmes, and Montpellier. Process-writing conducted by e-mail with and the final draft graded by HSU professor-director according to richness of cultural information and quality of French language expression. May include mementos of the month-long program and will be returned to the student.
|Fren 323||Culture & Civilization Taught in France
Lectures in French and guided excursions and activities on-site in France. May include museums, monuments, French cuisine, cinema, perfume and wine production, and historical sites such as Artles, Aigues-Mortes, Ste. Marie de la Mer, Sète, Nîmes, and Avignon. Written work submitted in draft form for process-writing to HSU professor: two two-page double-spaced typed papers IN FRENCH on two cultural sites, themes or issues from these experiences.
|Total units per student||9|
For more information about the Montpellier Summer Program, contact the World Langaues & Department at WLC@humboldt.edu.All 9 units are applicable to the Humboldt State University French major and minor.
Approximate Costs & Program Highlights
Program fees range from $3000 : "Special campus" option.
They may rise slightly depending on the exchange rate of the dollar.
- Intensive French language courses
- Cultural, linguistic workshops
- Complete program of cultural activities and workshops
- Excursions: culture, sports, beaches, cities and historic sites in southern France
- Local tram and bus passes for four weeks
- Lodging in university dorms (la cite universitaire: $2,200--subject to change)
- Breakfasts 7 days per week
- Daily communication with HSU campus Program Director by e-mail
OR: Family stay with breakfasts and dinners included ($3800)
In addition, students will need to have sufficient funds for the following:
• Round-trip airfare to Paris CDG ($????) + TGV train Paris-Montpellier (~$180 round trip)
• Personal expenses: meals not included in lodging option, telephone, Internet, other overnights, such as a night stopover in Paris on the return journey. **
• Passport and TWO extra passport photos
INCLUDED in Program Fees a large number of cultural activities and guided excursions by bus to such destinations as Arles, Aigues-Mortes, Nîmes, Avignon, le Pont du Gard, Sète, and more.
Optional excursions may be offered on-site, such as 25 Euros for a canoe trip, 10 Euros for a horseback ride in the Camargue, 100 Euros for an overnight trip, or 10 Euros for ice skating. They are not part of the HSU program.
**After the program is over, some students decide to spend a night in Paris on the way home. Some idea of costs: one afternoon+evening metro tickets $14, dinner $26, hotel $80, airport shuttle $15 = $135.
ALL ESTIMATES OF COSTS MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
• B- (2.90?) average in university coursework. Good academic standing.
• Interview in English with French and Francophone Studies Program faculty to determine aptitude for study abroad in terms of language skills, maturity and ability to represent the United States and HSU in France;
• Equivalent of one year of university French (FREN 106 at HSU) with a grade of B- or higher;
• One letter of recommendation from most recent French instructor for students outside HSU;
• High school students may be selected for the program in collaboration with their high school instructors; minimum age is 17 years and requires parental permission.
Note: Students will NOT be accompanied by the HSU Program Director, who will be in regular communication with the institute from the HSU campus.
Complete the following:
- On-line Montpellier Program: TBA
- Unofficial transcripts
- Interview with French program faculty
Dept. World Languages & Cultures
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521