Spanish Abroad — Parras, Mexico
THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT BE OFFERED IN SUMMER, 2012Because the U.S. Department of State has issued a travel warning to Mexico, we will instead offer the Humboldt Steps Program in Ecuador.
Invite you to the
Hands-on Program in the Northern Mexican Desert,
in the beautiful oasis of Parras
Intensive 10-week Program
Dates: typically May to August
Next Meeting to be announced
Parras is a very pleasant town of 44,000 people located between Torreón and Saltillo in the northeastern border state of Coahuila. It is not far away from other beautiful towns such as Durango, Zacatecas, Saltillo, Real de Catorce, the cultural and industrial magnet-city of Monterrey and the spectacular Copper Canyon and Zona del Silencio.
Universidad Tecnológica de Coahuila, established in 1995, is part of a nationwide system of campuses serving thousands of Mexican students throughout 32 states. The Universidad Tecnológica de Coahuila (UTC), campus Parras, specifically offers courses of technology and its environmental impact. The UTC has partnered with Humboldt State University to host the Parras Summer Program by providing the facilities, classrooms, library, computers, interrelation with Mexican students, and work experiences for students.
Students must enroll for a total of 16 units: (Tentative List)
SPAN 480 Spanish Language (Level according to need) (4)
SPAN 480 Spanish Conversation (Level according to need) (4)
ENGR 305 Appropriate Technology (alternative available) (3)
ENGR 114 Whole Earth Engineering (alternative available) (2)
ENGR 480 Appropriate Technology Projects in Chiapas (3)
- A hands-on experience in Appropriate Technology and sustainability in the desert of Northern Mexico.
- Immerse yourself in the language and culture of Northern Mexico.
- Live with a Mexican family.
- Visit cultural and natural places guided by faculty.
- All courses apply to the HSU Minor and Majors or count as HSU graduating electives.
- May use Financial Aid to cover all related expenses.
- IIE webpage listing scholarships for those already receiving a Pell Grant and studying the sciences.
- Any person regardless of location, Spanish level or knowledge of Appropriate Technology can enroll in the Program.
- If currently a student, must be in good standing.
- Complete Parras Program Application. Due Date: March (TBA for each year it's offered)
- Complete Interview with HSU Parras Program Committee.
Contact the Parras Program Leaders:
Director - Dr. Francisco Javier de la Cabada, email@example.com
Humboldt State University, Department of World Languages and Cultures: (707) 826-3345
Instructor Lonny Grafman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Humboldt State University, Department of Environmental Resources Engineering: (707) 826-3649
No employee or student shall on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran status or national or ethnic origin be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of or be otherwise subjected to unlawful discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, under any program of the University.
- The appropedia.org, Parras, 2006, 2007 and 2008 portals for pages in use by the students and community of Parras.
- 2005 Photo & 2006 Photo Galleries from Parras including building with adobe.
- Outside Magazine December 2002 Mexican Hideouts La bicicleta tranquila: where the singletrack and vino tinto flow.
- Universidad Tecnológica de Coahuila
- Official Portal of the State of Coahuila
- Article on the Tarahumara (Raramuri) Native American Tribe
- Pequals.com This site contains some projects by Parras Summer Program 2005 students including a survey.
- Emabassy of Mexico
- HSU´s Extended Education
- Secretario de Fomento Económico Document from the Economic Development Department geared towards big business such as textile manufacturers.