Welcome to the Compost Squad
The Compost Squad is a student-run team that collects food and green waste on campus and turns it into a rich soil supplement. Diverting 500lbs per week, the student team is busy with year-round collections and production.
- 2012: 36 million tons of food waste; 5% diverted from landfills and incinerators for composting
- Vermicomposting: composting with worms in an enclosed, convenient, low maintainence worm bin
- Worms eat two times their bodyweight every single day!
- Most efficient composting occurs with a carbon to nitrogen ratio of 30 to 1
- When food rots in a landfill, it produces methane, a gas with 21 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide.
- More than 20% of all methane emissions: human-related
- Humboldt State's Earth Tub is designed specifically for on-site composting of food-waste.
- We have Earth Tub tours!
- The Earth Tub is a fully enclosed composting vessel featuring power mixing, compost aeration, and biofiltration of all process air.
- The ET is capable of processing as little as 40lbs per day or as much as 500lbs per day.
- Learn the basics of compost by helping at the compost site
- Help plan events such as May Day, Pumpkins To Bins, and SLAM Fest
- Build support from campus administration to support a new compost site.