Apply to the International English Language Institute (IELI)
The IELI offers 3 semesters of intensive English language instruction per year.
IELI serves students from the high-beginner through advanced levels. Applicants should have some basic knowledge of English (for example, they studied English in high school). If you are not sure of your level, take the Cambridge placement test to see if you are prepared for the IELI program. The IELI English language program is suitable for students who score 7 or higher on the Cambridge test.
Students who have never studied English and are unable to take the test, or who score lower than 7 should apply to a program that offers basic English.
Be sure to select the correct session you want to apply to.
- Be sure that your name is spelled exactly as it is on your passport. Check the starting date of the sessions you wish to attend. If you fill out the paper form, you can mail it to our address below or email it to email@example.com.
- To assist us in placing you in the proper level, please take the Cambridge Placement Test and report your score on the application.
STEP 2: Pay the US $55.00 Application Fee.
- You may pay online using the link above, via international money order, or by a check drawn on a U.S. bank. Checks should be payable to HSU.
STEP 3: Submit Certification of Finances.
- If you are sponsored, send evidence of your scholarship or bursary.
STEP 4: Send photocopy of your passport.
STEP 5: Transfer Students (only if transferring from a U.S. school)
- If you are already in the U.S. and transferring from another school or program, you must send us an IELI Notification of Intent to Transfer which shows that you are in status, and a photocopy of your I-20.
STEP 6: Submit Student Consent for Release of Information if you are an agent submitting an application on behalf of the student.
STEP 7: Send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail toIELI
Center for International Programs
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst St.
Arcata, CA 95521-8299
|Fall Semester||mid-August to mid-December||July 1|
|Fall mid-entry*||mid-October to mid-December||September 1|
|Spring 1||mid-January to mid-March||December 1|
|Spring 2||mid-March to mid-May||February 1|
|Summer||mid-May to end of July||April 1|
*Please be aware that mid-entry students will be joining classes that have already been in session for 8 weeks.
The IELI will be transitioning to a semester long 16-week program with a 10-week intensive summer program in May 2018.