Grace Period

F-1 students may remain in the U.S. for 60 days following the completion of their degree (usually the end date in section #5 on Form I-20).

Individuals in F-1 status may also remain in the U.S. for 60 days following the expiration date of post-completion optional practical training (OPT) employment authorization. The 60-day grace period applies in its entirety even if it has been used on a previous occasion. In other words, if a student's OPT does not begin until 60 days after they complete their studies, that student is still eligible to utilize a 60-day grace period after completion of OPT.

During your grace period you may:

  • transfer to another SEVIS approved school.
  • change degree levels at Humboldt State University (for example: ESL to academic study or bachelor's to master's).
  • apply for a change of visa status.
  • not apply for a program extension.
  • not work.

If a student decides to withdraw from the University without completing their degree, they have 15 days in which to leave the U.S. The student must contact the Center for International Programs and notify the appropriate staff of their intention to leave and not return.