Getting started with clickers
This pages gives you all the basic information you need to get up and running with clickers in the classroom. You can also access the Moodle Faculty Guide for more in-depth information.
- Sign up for training
- Download the updated software.
- Order the appropriate number of clickers for your students through the HSU Bookstore. We recommend the TurningPoint RFLCD clickers (ISBN # 978-193-4931400). With the upgrade to Turning Point Cloud, students need to purchase their own licenses, which are available through the bookstore or directly from Turning Technologies.
- Update your syllabus to include clicker information and resources.
- Update your Moodle content to include clicker information and resources and enable the Turning Technologies external plugin before the start of the class.
Once you've completed your training, you'll need the following to use clickers in a classroom setting:
- A computer with TurningPoint software installed. All computers in HSU Smart Classrooms are equipped with TurningPoint software.
- A projector. If your classroom does not have a projector, make arrangements to have one available through Technology Equipment Checkout.
- Your TurningPoint file(s) - Participant List, Question List, etc.
- A TurningPoint receiver. Most Smart Classrooms have receivers preinstalled, or you can use your own laptop with a receiver purchased from Turning Technologies.
- A PowerPoint file, if you use PowerPoint
- Participants with clickers
Clickers in the classroom
A short presentation has been prepared to help you introduce your students to the use of clickers - we strongly recommend you include this in your first session. By sharing this information with students via Moodle or Canvas, as it contains the instructions they need to follow to register with Turning Point.
Here's a short checklist of what to go over with your students:
- Clickers are a required material for the course, just like a textbook.
- ResponseWare can be used in lieu of clickers at the instructor's discretion.
- Turning Technologies licenses are required, even if a student has opted to use ResponseWare.
- Clickers and licenses are available at the HSU Bookstore. Remind them of the importance of keeping their receipt in the event the clicker is defective.
- Explain to them how to register their clickers
- Clicker expectations in the classroom. You will want to tell students when to bring clickers to class, if they will be used every session, and any other requirements you might have. Make these expectations clear at the beginning of the semester. By communicating with the students about why you are using the technology, what you expect from it and how you plan to use it in class will help reduce any unease associated with using an unfamiliar technology in the classroom.
- Clicker policies in the classroom. You will want to tell students the policies you have associated with clickers in the classroom. This should include areas such as attendance, academic dishonesty, grading, clicker malfunctions, etc. Make sure to include this information in your correspondence, syllabus and Moodle course materials.
- Technical issues in the classroom. Just like any other piece of technology, clickers are imperfect and there may be unexpected technical issues from time to time. Please be patient if technical issues arise.
- Disciplinary procedures. Your instructors, TAs and peers are watching. The misuse of clickers is a violation of the Humboldt State University Student Code of Conduct and punishable through a variety of sanctions, including expulsion.
Download the Turning Point Quick Start Guide
HSU coursework development specialists recommend these links as you explore whether clickers are right for you:
For more information, contact the courseware development specialist in your area.