Getting started with clickers
The information on this page will help you get started with clickers and the Turning Point technology installed at HSU. You can also access a more detailed guide on the Moodle site.
HSU supports the RCRF-03 clicker model:
Please do not use any other device; if you do, responses may not be recorded accurately.
Turning Point Cloud Device Registration and License
Turning Point Cloud is a subscription-based service; you must have a license to participate in clicker-based activities and receive credit for your responses. If you already have a clicker, you can puchase a license from the HSU Bookstore or through your Turning Point dashboard. If you need to replace your clicker for any reason, you should re-register your device with Turning Point; it's also a good idea to let your instructor know you have a new clicker to ensure your work is properly credited.
Registering your clicker in Moodle
You will need to register your clicker once a semester via Moodle. Your instructor will let you know if clickers are required for any classes during each semester.
- Log into myHumboldt using your HSU User Name and Password. Click the Moodle button in the upper right-hand corner above your name.
- Log into the class for which your instructor has told you clickers are required via the My HSU class page.
- Locate the Turning Technologies Account plugin on your Course page. If it is missing, contact your instructor.
- Click Turning Point Account Registration. You will be directed to an external account to register.
- Select Create an account if this is your first time using Turning Point Cloud. Note that you must use your HSU email address (eg firstname.lastname@example.org) to register.
- When you receive your confirmation email, click the link in the email to complete the registration process. You will be taken to the Turning Point dashboard if your registration has been successful.
- Click on the icon to Add License information
- Click on the icon to Add Device information and enter the six-digit code from the back of your device.
If you run into any problems, refer to these resources:
If you experience problems with your clicker
Before contacting HSU Clicker Student Support, double-check the following:
- That your device is registered with Turning Point.
- That you entered the device code correctly
- While you're still in Turning Point (see #1 above), make sure the six-digit code listed in your account matches that on the back of your physical device.
- If it does not match, remove the incorrect device from your account and follow the registration procediure above to register the correct device.
- That your Turning Point account includes the appropriate LMS link for either Moodle or Canvas
- That you have reviewed the entire grade book for clicker points for your class
- That you are on the correct channel for your classroom (the default channel in classes is Channel 41). To change the channel:
- Press and release the Ch or Channel button (The light will flash red and green)
- While the light is flashing red and green, enter the 2-digit code for the channel (i.e.: channel 1 = 01, channel 41 = 41)
- Press the Ch or Channel button again to confirm the change.
- That your instructor has posted clicker points; be aware that instructors might choose not to post points immediately.
What do the flashing lights on the clicker mean?
The clicker light can help alert you to what is happening with the clicker.
- Red - Response was not received
- Green - Response was received
- Red and green (flashing) - The Channel button has been pressed. Press Channel again to stop.
- Yellow (multiple flashing) - Sending your response
- Yellow (single flash) - Polling not yet opened by the instructor.
If you are still having problems, please email the HSU Clicker Student Support at email@example.com. The team can assist you with hardware and registration problems with your clicker but be aware that they have no control over your grades or points in the class. All clicker- and grade-specific questions should be directed to your TA or instructor.