Before You Start
To connect to the HSUGuest wireless network, your computer should have the latest Windows updates installed. To update your Windows installation, do one of the following:
- Go to http://update.microsoft.com and follow the on-screen instructions OR
- Open the Control Panel, select Update Windows, and follow the on-screen instructions
You will also need your cellphone to be switched on in order to receive your login credentials, which will be sent to you by text mesage.
Note that, if you're running Windows 8 in Windows 7 mode, you will not be able to configure the wireless connection.
If you experience any problems with registering or connecting to the HSUGuest network, please contact the Technology Help Desk at (707) 826-HELP (4357).
|Step 1: Click on the Wireless Network icon in the System Tray to display the available wireless networks:
|Step 2: Go to any web page. The registration screen below will appear. If you already have a user name and password, enter them and click or tap the button I accept the CSU Responsible Use Policy. If you do not yet have a user name and password, click or tap the registering on the HSUGuest Wireless Network link.
Step 3: Complete the registration form following the directions below.
Complete the information requested as follows:
- Enter your primary email address; this will be your login name to access the HSUGuest network
- Enter your full name
- Enter a short description of the reason you need Internet access, for example "Visiting my kids" or "Attending a meeting with <name>"
- Enter your ten-digit mobile phone number; this is where your access credentials will be sent via text message.
- Open the picklist and select the name of your mobile service provider; you will be billed for the text message at your provider plan's standard rate.
- Click Submit Request
Step 4: Your request should be approved almost immediately. When you see the screen below, check your mobile phone for a text message with your login credentials. Click or tap the link click here to sign in.
Click the link to review the CSU Responsible Use Policy
to understand California State University's expectations of users of its wireless networks, then enter the access credentials sent to you. You may see some text referring to potential problems with your login; unless you know that this refers to your situation, you can safely ignore it. Just click the button I Accept the CSU Responsible Use Policy
, and you will be connected to the HSUGuest network.
Step 6: On completion of successful registration and login, the home page for the HSUGuest wireless network appears. You can now use the web as you would on any public wireless network. Be aware that bandwidth is limited to 1Mbps for downloads and 512Kbps for uploads, and that any abuse of this network connection will result in immediate account termination.