When you send an email to yourself at one of your aliases (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org), you may have noticed that it doesn't show up in your inbox. You probably also worry that other people are sending you mail and you aren't receiving it. Well, things aren't as bad as they seem!
Google has designed their system so that messages YOU send (or cc) to one of your aliases will only show up in your Sent folder. Don't worry though! This does not affect when OTHER people send to your aliases.
There are a couple of ways to get around this. Pick whichever works for you:
- If you need to send yourself an email, send it to either your email@example.com or your firstname.lastname@example.org address. Those ones will come through.
- If you really want to use one of your other aliases, you can, you just need to set it up as a custom "From" address first.
- Sign in to your Google Apps email.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings, and select the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
- In the Email address field, enter your name and alternate email address (e.g. email@example.com).
- Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.
- (Locate the message from Gmail. Open it and and either click the link contained in the message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Google Apps email settings.