Avoiding Unconscious Bias Re-certification
As highlighted in the Strategic Plan, advancing HSU’s vision in the area of diversity has been, and continues to be, among our top institutional priorities. One of the foundations for our work in this area is the Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process workshop, which, since January 2014, has been required for all search committee members who are involved with a staff, faculty or administrator search.
As you may remember, hiring authorities and individuals sitting on search committees are required to participate in a workshop on this topic every two years. As we have just passed this two year mark, a number of employees have Avoiding Unconscious Bias “certifications” which are about to expire.
To sign up for a workshop, please see:
- Strategies for Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process (original version)
- “Recertification”: Strategies for Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process
In addition, please be aware of the following:
- As has been the standard for the last two years, staff who are interested in serving on a search committee must complete the Strategies for Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process workshop, and must “recertify” every two years.
- Beginning in February, a "recertification" version of the Strategies for Avoiding Unconscious Bias in the Hiring Process workshop will be offered (on alternating months) for individuals who are taking the workshop a second time. While the intent and themes of the workshop are similar, the content will be slightly different, with an aim of building on the knowledge gained in the initial session.
- Staff members may participate in either version of the workshop to become "certified" for another two years.
- Staff are encouraged to visit the HSU Training Site and register for one of the following workshops as soon as possible to ensure that you are able to participate in upcoming searches, anticipated or unanticipated, without delay.