Humboldt State University

Department of Psychology

Graduate Programs in Psychology

The department has three graduate programs that lead to a Master's degree in Psychology: Academic Research, Counseling and School Psychology.

All applicants apply to the university through CalState Apply, beginning October 1, 2017 through February 1, 2018. Be sure to specify Humboldt State University and either Academic Research Program, Counseling Program, or School Psychology Program. Completed applications, with all materials received by February 1, will get priority consideration.  Applications for which required materials arrive at the Admissions office after February 1 will subsequently be considered in the order received. All applications received by this date will receive full consideration, and initial admission decisions are made by April 1st. 

Each applicant is required to submit official transcripts of all college-level work, from every institution attended, to the Office of Admissions. Additionally, each applicant is required to submit three letters of recommendation from university faculty, employers, or professionals who can discuss academic and professional potential. Letters of recommendation are completed online via CalState Apply. Lastly, each program requires supplemental documentation. Academic Research requires the Application Form Cover Sheet, Statement of Purpose and Prerequisite Verification Form. Counseling requires Autobiographical Questions and a Prerequisite Verification Form. School Psychology requires Statement of Intent and Prerequisite Verification Form. For more program specific information, please visit their page.

The Academic Research MA Program has specializations in Biological Psychology, Developmental Psychopathology, and Social and Environmental Psychology. The Counseling MA Program meets the academic requirements for the Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) license.The School Psychology MA Program meets requirements for recommendations to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for a Pupil Personnel Services Credential with an authorization to practice as a School Psychologist.

A number of facilities and department resources support each of these programs. In addition to school and community based settings and resources that provide students with hands-on training experience, we have our HSU Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and our Psychology Test Library.