Humboldt State University

Department of Social Work

MSW Financial Aid Resources

Humboldt State University's Office of Financial Aid can provide information on general financial aid opportunities and processes including:

The Department of Social Work and Humboldt State University award one $500-$1,000 scholarship to one junior or senior in the BA Social Work program or to one graduate student in the MSW program. The John and Gail Gai Faculty Tribute Scholarship is distributed in two equal installments, once in the Fall and once in the Spring. The Deborah Cline Memorial Scholarship (one scholarship of $1,500) is for a student who is completing a field placement in a medical social work setting. For more information see the scholarship link above.

The Department also offers several $3,000 scholarships for the Distributed Learning MSW Program. More information is available by contacting the Department of Social Work office at 707-826-4448.

The National Association of Social Workers offers two MSW-level scholarships for students who are members of NASW. The Consuelo W. Gosnell Memorial MSW Scholarships are awarded to master’s degree candidates in social work interested in working with American Indian/Alaska Native and Hispanic/Latino populations or in public and voluntary nonprofit agency settings. Up to 10 scholarships of up to $4,000 each are awarded. The Verne LaMarr Lyons Memorial MSW Scholarships are awarded to master’s degree candidates in social work who demonstrate an interest in or have experience with health/mental health practice and have a commitment to working in the African American community. Up to 2 scholarships of up to $2,000 each will be awarded.

The National Association of Social Workers California Chapter offers 20 $1,000 scholarships for Native American undergraduate and graduate students who are residents of California.



Loan Cancellation:

State, Tribal, and Federal governments offer loan cancellation programs and other forms of financial assistance that are worth pursuing. For example, the State of California administers a Health Professions Education Foundation Allied Healthcare Scholarship (AHS) that offers up to $4,000 per academic year in exchange for a one-year service obligation or 100 hours of volunteer service practicing direct care in a medically underserved area (MUA) of California. There is also the Healthcare Workforce Development Division's California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) which repays a portion of educational loans.

Additionally, certain educational expenses can be deducted on State and Federal Income taxes as noted on the IRS website.

The California Social Work Education Center has put together a helpful table of scholarship/loan repayment options.

Department Support for Student Participation in Conferences:

The Social Work Department may have access to a small amount of funding to support student attendance at workshops/trainings/conferences related to the HSU Department of Social Work program emphases. Students can request up to $75.00 per academic year. This is on a first come, first served basis until the funds are expended. To request funds, individual students (not groups or representatives) should submit the request to the Department Coordinator. Requests are typically made before conference registration/attendance. The department is unlikely to approve requests for retroactive reimbursement. The Department can also provide assistance to students to access funds to attend the annual NASW-CA Lobby Days with the Social Work Student Association in Sacramento.