Current Graduate Students
dates refers to start
- 2018 – Brian Fagundes (MS) Benefits to agricultural soils from wild goose droppings.
- 2016 – Kachina Rowland (MS) Female-female competition in Steller’s Jays.
- 2016 – Matt Delgado (MS) Achromatic plumage in Aleutian Cackling Geese.
Previous Graduate Students
dates refer to completion
- 2018 – Elizabeth Morata (MS) North Coast peregrine falcon ecology.
- 2018 – Genevieve Rozhon (MS) Habitat selection by wintering rough-legged hawks. [Biologist, Environmental Consultant]
- 2017 – Kelly Commons (MS) Steller’s jay social system.
- 2017 – Trinity Tippin (MS) Steller’s jay vocalizations. [term Wildlife Biologist, Kauai Endangered Seabird Recovery Project]
- 2015 – Derek Harvey (MS) Steller’s jay innovation. [term Wildlife Biologist, Kauai Endangered Seabird Recovery Project]
- 2015 – Brendan Leigh (MS) American wigeon foraging behavior. [Biologist, USFWS Humboldt Bay Refuge]
- 2014 – Bryan Daniels (MS) Brant foraging behavior (Alaska).[Biologist, USFWS, Yukon Delta, Alaska]
- 2013 – Josh Cocke (MS) Aleutian goose breeding biology. [Wildlife Biologist, US Forest Service]
- 2013 – Betsy Elkinton(MS) Brant foraging behavior. [Science Coordinator, Zane High School, Eureka, CA]
- 2013 – Will Goldenberg (MS) Steller’s jay use of landscape.[HSU Lecturer, Film Department, and freelance film maker Natural History Films]
- 2013 – Katlin Overeem (MS) Steller’s jay extra-pair behavior.[STEM Collaborative Program Coordinator, HSU]
- 2012 – Pia Gabriel (PhD) Steller’s jay behavioural syndromes.Technische Universität München, Germany. [HSU Sponsored Programs Foundation]
- 2011 – Christina Rockwell (MS) Foraging selectivity in Steller’s jays. [Researcher, freelance]
- 2011 – Jen Terry Zalewski (MS) Environmental stress in River Otter. [Biologist, Environmental Consultant]
- 2011 – Jeff Zirpoli (MS) Plumage ornaments and immunocompetence in Steller’s jays. [Biologist, Environmental Consultant]
- 2010 – Kyle Spragens (MS) Aleutian goose response to facilitation by livestock grazing regimes in coastal pastures. [Biologist, USFWS Refuges, now USGS]
- 2009 – Chris West (MS) Vigilance in reintroduced California condors: the impact of early-rearing experience. [Biologist, Yurok Tribe]
- 2008 – Dominic Bachman (MS) Aleutian goose response to manipulated nutrients in coastal pastures. [Biologist, USFWS Refuges]
- 2008 – Susannah Ferson (MS) Response of eelgrass to simulated grazing by black geese. [Biologist, Redwood Community Action Agency]
- 2007 – Emily Bjerre (MS) Black brant forage optimally for gizzard grit. [Biologist, USFWS]
- 2005 – Anne Mini (MS) Energetic expenditure of Aleutian Canada geese experiencing different management regimes. [PhD Oregon State; now Biologist, Mississippi Valley Joint Venture]
- 2003 – Ken Griggs (MS) Parental investment in Western Canada geese. [Deputy Manager, USFWS Refuges]
- 2003 – Jeff Moore (MS) Black brant foraging on eelgrass in Humboldt Bay, CA. [PhD Purdue; now Biologist, NOAA]
- 2002 – Derek Lee (MS) Spring stopover of black brant geese at Humboldt Bay, CA. [PhD, Dartmouth, and consultant, Wild Nature Institute]
- 2000 – John Quinn (PhD) Relationship between red-breasted geese and peregrine falcons during the breeding season, Oxford University, England. [Lecturer/Reader, University College Cork, Ireland]
- 1999 – Friederike Woog (PhD) Dominance and dispersal of Hawaiian geese, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany. [Ornithology Curator, Stuttgart Museum for Nature, Germany]
- 1995 – Glynn Young (MS)The systematic position of Meller's Duck: a behavioural approach, University of Kent, England. [Biologist, Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, Jersey, England]
- 1993 – Ute Zillich (PhD) Social behaviour of Hawaiian geese, University of Bonn, Germany – not finished (ABD)
- 1993 – Friederike Woog (MS) Ecology of Hawaiian geese in habitats of Haleakala National Park, Maui, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany. [Ornithology Curator, Stuttgart Museum for Nature, Germany]
- 1992 – Sharmila Choudhury (PhD) Mate choice in barnacle geese, Oxford University. [Producer/Director, Natural History Films, Bristol, England]